Danville Jewish Community Chest. Records, 1968-1979 and 1994-2003 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
Danville Jewish Community Chest is a not-for-profit corporation that originated in Danville, Illinois, in 1969. This collection includes materials that reflect the charitable organization's administrative function and contributions to the Jewish community in Danville and beyond.
The Danville Jewish Community Chest was founded by Robert Platzer, Max Sperling, Jerry Fiman, Sol A. Fink, and Michael P. Brainin in 1969. The goal of the organization is to raise money for local Jewish individuals in need, as well as national and international Jewish causes. The organization also seeks to provide local libraries and schools with educational materials that reflect the values of Jewish culture, as well as moments in Jewish history. The Danville Jewish Community Chest met annually at 1536 East Fairchild Street until 1999, when meetings migrated to the home of officers Louis and Sybil Mervis. As of July 2023, the functions of the organization are being monitored by its longtime president, Neal Ehrlich, from Chicago.
Records include articles of incorporation, by-laws, meeting minutes, financial documents, educational materials, letters, a corporate seal, and a rubber stamp.
These records were preserved by Sybil Mervis and donated by Sybil Mervis, Neal Ehrlich, and John P. Wolgamot in 2021.
View full finding aid and PDF box/folder list