Grand Army of the Republic, Capt Kyger Post No. 204. Records, 1895-1908 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
This collection contains two record books of the Grand Army of the Republic, Kyger Post No. 204, based in Georgetown, Illinois.
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was formed in 1866 in Springfield, Illinois, for Union veterans of the Civil War. The Kyger Post No. 204 was established in Georgetown, a small town in eastern Illinois. The organization provided assistance to veterans and the families of deceased soldiers and remained politically active for their interests. The GAR had over 400,000 members in posts across the United States in 1890. By 1949, the GAR had only sixteen living members. The organization was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
This collection consists of two volumes that record the names and dues paid of the Kyger Post's members of Georgetown, Illinois. The entries are handwritten. The collection also includes supply slips and receipts.
This collection was transferred from the University of Illinois Archives to the Illinois Historical Survey, predecessor of the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections, in 1974.