American Association of University Women, Rockford Branch Records, 2001-2004 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
This collection is comprised of records from the Rockford branch of the American Association of University Women. Located in northern Illinois, the Rockford branch promotes equity, education, and opportunities for women of all ages. Records include three member directories.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Rockford branch was formed in 1929 mostly by faculty and graduates of Rockford College. As of 2016, the branch still promotes gender equity for women.
This collection consists of three member directories dating from 2001 to 2004. The member directories offer insight into branch administration. Included in the directories are officer and membership lists, branch bylaws, and annual strategic plans.
The Rockford branch is housed with the Aurora and Chicago, Inc. branches of AAUW.