American Association of University Women, Champaign-Urbana Branch. Records, 1902-2013 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
Association of Collegiate Alumnae (U.S.)
Champaign County--Champaign (Ill.)
Champaign County--Urbana (Ill.)
Illinois Education Association
Illinois League of Women Voters
International Federation of University Women
National Committee on the Cause and Cure of War (U.S.)
National League of Women Voters (U.S.)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
This collection is comprised of records from the Champaign-Urbana branch of the American Association of University Women. Located in east central Illinois, the Champaign-Urbana branch promotes equity, education, and opportunities for women of all ages. Records include minutes, correspondence, scrapbooks, newsletters, and other materials.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Central Illinois Branch of the AAUW was formed in 1901 when 25 members of the Illinois College Club abandoned that title and affiliated themselves with the AAUW. According to its constitution, the purpose of the branch is to "unite the college women of the community for work on the educational, civic and social problems of the community and to cooperate with the AAUW in its general work." In 1938, the branch voted to change its name to the Champaign-Urbana Branch. As of 2016, the branch is still active in the community.
The collection is comprised of 25 series, including Publications, Handbooks for Officers and Chairmen, Scrapbooks, Correspondence, and Membership Lists. Additional information about the collection can be found in the inventory.
The Champaign-Urbana records were originally deposited in the Library in 1947. Additional deposits were made in 1976, 1983, 1986-1987, 1990, 1994, 1997, 2004, 2007, 2010, and 2016 by members of the branch.
View full finding aid and PDF box/folder list