By Maia Perez
[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Title: Clinton F. Nieweg Harp Music and Papers, 1912-1985
Primary Creator: Nieweg, Clinton
Extent: 1.0 cubic feet
Arrangement: Organized in two series: Series 1, Personal Papers and The Fantasticks; Series 2, Pedagogical materials and harp sheet music. Series 1 is arranged by genre: personal papers, concert programs, scores, and figurine. Series 2 is arranged in alaphabetical order by title.
Date Acquired: 08/21/2019
Subjects: Christmas music, Concert Programs, Harp, Sacred music
Formats/Genres: Sheet music
Languages: English, French, German, Welsh, Celtic(Other), Irish
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Consists of personal papers, correspondence, concert programs, harp sheet music for beginners, Christmas music and other sacred sheet music for the harp, scores for the musical The Fantasticks, and one photograph documenting Clinton F. Nieweg's studies with harpist Edna Phillips and later performance career as a harpist from 1950 to 1983.
Collection Historical Note
Clinton F. Nieweg was born in West Chester, PA, on August 11, 1937. He graduated from West Chester University in 1959 with a Bachelor of Science in Music Education with concentrations in harp, string bass, and orchestra library science. He studied harp with Edna Philips, harpist for the Philadelphia Orchestra, as well as string bass with professor Wes Fisher. Nieweg began his professional carrier as a music librarian working for J.W. Pepper & Son Music Publishers and Theodore Presser Music Publishers before becoming a librarian for the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1975. He became the orchestra's principle librarian in 1979 and retired in 2002. He helped found the Major Orchestra Librarians Association (MOLA) in 1983. Nieweg is owner of the music research company Proof Purr-fect Research and continues to work as supervising editor for the Nieweg et. Al. Performance Editions published by Edwin F. Kalmus & Co.
The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
[Series 1: Personal Papers and The Fantasticks
[Series 2: Pedagogical materials and harp sheet music
- Series 1: Personal Papers and The Fantasticks
- Arranged by genre: personal papers, concert programs, scores, and figurine.
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Personal Papers, 1971-1985
- Photograph, letter, and newpaper clippings
- Folder 2: Programs, 1963-1985
- Folder 3: The Fantasticks, vocal and piano score, 1960
- Folder 4: The Fantasticks - harp score - original version, 1963
- Folder 5: The Fantasticks - harp score, undated
- Folder 6: The Amazing Story of The Fantasticks, 1991
- Item 1: Harp figurine
- Made by a metal worker at a Dutch/German Folk Festival in Kutztown, Pennsylvania for Clinton F. Nieweg (see letter in Control File, September 1, 2019).