Campus Main Library Opening | University of Illinois Archives
Featured here is the east-facing side of the University of Illinois Main library. With construction starting in June 1924, the library was completed in 3 stages. The first stage's completion, and official opening of the library, was in 1926. Subsequent stages (not featured here) were finished in 1927 and 1929 for a grand total of 1.75 million dollars in 1929. The library was eventually dedicated on October 18th, 1929, by then-dean Phineas Windsor.
The library, now called the Main Library, was modeled in the typical Holabird and Roche Georgian Revival Architecture style and designed by Platt and White. This image features the east-facing side, and thus the former stacks reserves (north and south wings of the first floor) and the student reading room (second floor).
The building is located at 1408 W Gregory Dr, Urbana, IL
Due to the volatile nature of Nitrate film, digital copies can be found here:
Copyright Bernard A. Strauch.
Copyright of this image is NOT owned by the University of Illinois and the image is provided here for personal use only. Any other use of this image is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the copyright holder. Please contact us for more information.