University Ice Skating Rink | University of Illinois Archives
Featured is the University's Ice-Skating Rink, build in 1931 at a cost of $325,000. Using financial allotments provided by the Kinley administration, President Harry Woodburn Chase provided the Athletic Association with the funds to construct an ice-skating rink. Athletic Association president, George Huff, noted in the AA's minutes of November 1930 that this depression era project was done because it "provides students with something new to do, we we are in desperate need of something new for students to do. Likewise, it helps furnish employment". Originally designed by Holabird and Roche in 1927, the building was constructed in the Spring of 1931 and opened for winter skating that year. It was acquired by campus recreation in 1977 and remains in operation.
The building is located at 406 E Armory Ave, Champaign, IL
Due to the volatile nature of Nitrate film, digital copies can be found here:
Copyright Bernard A. Strauch.
Copyright of this image is NOT owned by the University of Illinois and the image is provided here for personal use only. Any other use of this image is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the copyright holder. Please contact us for more information.