Busey Residence Hall | University of Illinois Archives
Image depicts the Busey Residence Hall, formerly known as the Women's Residence Hall. Named residence hall by the former President Edmund J. James, the hall was built in 1917 and was both the first womens dormitory, and the first dormitory in general, on campus. Designed in a Georgian Revival style (note the columns, symmetrical limestone facades, and Palladian windows that typified many buildings on campus) by campus planners Charles Platt and James White. In the background of the image is Laura B. Evans Hall, formerly known as West Hall. Busey Hall remains a womens only dorm on campus, yet Evans Hall has become mens only. The building can be located at 1111 W. Nevada Street, Urbana, Illinois
Due to the volatile nature of Nitrate film, digital copies can be found here:
Copyright Bernard A. Strauch.
Copyright of this image is NOT owned by the University of Illinois and the image is provided here for personal use only. Any other use of this image is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the copyright holder. Please contact us for more information.