President Chase Inauguration (2) | University of Illinois Archives
University President, Harry Woodburn Chase (1930-33) walks in the street after his presidential inauguration. Chase was the president for three years before he left for a New York University Chancellorship.
President Harry Woodburn Chase came to the University in Illinois in 1930, after having served as president of the University of North Carolina. He began his career there as professor of the philosophy of education and psychology. Chase was the first to reside in the new President's House on Florida Avenue. In addition to the President's House, however, five buildings were added through funds appropriated under President David Kinley's administration: Chemical Annex, Women's Gymnasium, Ice Skating Rink, the water filter plant, and the first unit of the medical laboratory in Chicago. The College of Fine and Applied Arts and the College of Physical Education were created per Chase's reallocation of funds within the university.
Due to the volatile nature of Nitrate Film, digital file can be found at:
Copyright Bernard A. Strauch.
Copyright of this image is NOT owned by the University of Illinois and the image is provided here for personal use only. Any other use of this image is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the copyright holder. Please contact us for more information.