University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Facilities and Services | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Facilities and Services

Historical Note: In 1868, a Board of Trustees committee of five members was given the responsibility for buildings and grounds.1 In 1897,2 this standing committee was reduced to four members. In the following year, the position of superintendent of buildings and grounds was established by this committee.3 In 1901, the University established positions of superintendents of Buildings, Grounds and Utilities.4 In 1907, the superintendents were placed in the office of the supervising architect,5 which became the physical plant department on May 22, 1934.6 In 1967, the director was made University Director of Physical Plant Planning and construction.7 In September, 1972, the office was renamed the University Office for Capital Programs.8 As part of campus reorganization, the Facilities and Services Division was created in 2003. The director of this office is responsible for Physical Plant planning; planning and construction of new buildings and additions to existing buildings; landscape and site development related to these projects; and land acquisition (excluding the airport, Robert Allerton Park, experimental farms, and properties maintained by the Athletic Association), in addition to the coordination of other campus services.9

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, 1869, p. 79.

2. Ibid., 19th Report, March 9, 1897, p. 72.

3. Ibid., June 8, 1898, p. 268.

4. Ibid., 21st Report, July 6, 1901, p. 108.

5. Ibid., 24th Report, June 4, 1907, p. 107.

6. Ibid., 37th Report, May 22, 1934, p. 568.

7. Ibid., 54th Report, Sept. 20, 1967, p. 712, 771.

8. Ibid., 56th Report, April 19, 1972, p. 586.

9. Ibid., 54th Report, Sept. 20, 1967, p. 712.

Page Generated in: 0.155 seconds (using 53 queries).
Using 6.53MB of memory. (Peak of 6.71MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign