University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Community Information and Education Service | University of Illinois Archives
The Community Information and Education Service (CIES) had its origins in the outreach services offered by the University department of extension beginning in 1933. Originally, five field representatives were located in districts throughout the state to assist individuals and organizations with speakers, short courses, conferences, and audio-visual aids. In the 1960s and 1970s these activities were assumed by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Office of Continuing Education and Public Service in cooperation with other agencies such as the Cooperative Extension Service.1
CIES was founded in 1980 as the result of a grant from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation to the University and five associated central Illinois community colleges -- Lakeland, Richland, Lincoln Land, Spoon River, and Carl Sandburg. It is administered jointly by the Cooperative Extension Service of the Office of Continuing Education and Public Service.2
The CIES has numerous specific objectives, but broadly stated it exists to strengthen the relationship between the university/college communities and the localities that they serve. The organization provides outreach opportunities to local communities by way of workshops, seminars, study groups, and creating availability and access to technical resources in the University and other agencies.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, November 10, 1933, p. 410, University of Illinois Extension Division Correspondence Course Catalog 1965-67, pp. 5-6; University of Illinois Archives Record Series 31/8/801
2. Community Information and Education Service Final Report 1981-86, pp. 6-7
3. CIES Reports, April 1, 1987, p. 1.