The Score Club (1912-) | University of Illinois Archives

Name: The Score Club (1912-)


Historical Note: The Score Club is a women's organization associated with University faculty that began at P.L. Windsor's home with nine members in January, 1912.  A Constitution was adopted on May 14, 1913, but the organization was not named until May 8, 1918. Membership was limited to fifteen in 1913, 20 in 1914, 23 in 1951, and finally the Constitution adopted a revision allowing members without a cap in numbers, though it usually hovered around  20.  In the early years, the organization was amorphous, with themes involving the study and enjoyment of music as well as discussing important issues, such as Women's Sufferage and Socialism. Even by 1942, the Constitution did not have a section on objectives.  The music concentration eventually dissipated, and varied programs growing out of individual member interest took its place. In later years, meetings included luncheons where members paid a fee to help with the expense of the hostess. Later, scholarships and honorariums were given to the University as memorials for members.  Formal dues do not exist.  "Informal and practical" wins over precedent for this organization.
Sources: Constitution and Score Club Histories



Page Generated in: 0.329 seconds (using 37 queries).
Using 5.74MB of memory. (Peak of 5.88MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign