University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Division of Campus Recreation | University of Illinois Archives
On June 20, 1962 the Intramural Activities Program, under the jurisdiction of the Athletic Association, became a separate Division of Intramural Activities with a full-time director, responsible to the Dean of the College of Physical Education.1 On October 17, 1962, upon the recommendation of the Dean of the College, the title was changed to Division of Intramural Activities, with the executive officer designated as Director.2 On July 24, 1968, the Board of Trustees authorized the Illinois Building Authority to sell bonds to finance an Intramural Physical Education Building, to be supported by student fees assessed at the beginning of each semester.3 In 1974 the division was renamed the Division of Campus Recreation.4 There are co-recreational programs and programs open to men and women who are students, faculty or staff.5 There is a Family Recreation Program for children of students and staff.6
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, June 20, 1962, p. 1503.
2. Ibid., 52nd Report, October 17, 1962, p. 182.
3. Ibid., 54th Report, July 27, 1966, p. 28.
4. Letter from Vice-Chancellor Morton Weir to Professor Allan Sapora, June 6, 1974, Division of Campus Recreation.
5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Academic Staff Handbook, p. 39.
6. University of Illinois, Division of Campus Recreation, "Family Recreation Program for Children of Students and Faculty/Staff," 1976.