University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Journalism | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Journalism

Historical Note:

The University began instruction in journalism in 1902 with a course in business writing offered under the English Department's program in rhetoric and oratory.1 In 1915, the Trustees provided funds for a Department of Journalism and in 1927 it became a separate administrative unit, the School of Journalism.2 In 1950, its name was changed to the School of Journalism and Communications, with divisions of journalism, radio, and advertising,3 and it became part of the Division of Communications.4 In 1954, it was restored to independent status.5 The School was given College status in 1957.6 In 1959, its three divisions were designated as departments.7 The Department of Journalism offers a two-year course in the fields of newspaper, magazine and technical writing and editing; community journalism and news broadcasting.8

1. Catalogs and Registers, 1902-03, p. 274.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 28th Report, September 27, 1915, p. 830; 34th Report, July 14, 1927, pp. 416-17.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, February 16, 1950, p. 992.

4. Ibid., p. 988.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, April 21, 1954, pp. 1322-23.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, June 20, 1957, p. 435.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, February 19, 1959, p. 301.

8. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1960-61, p. 229.

Page Generated in: 0.086 seconds (using 40 queries).
Using 5.86MB of memory. (Peak of 6.03MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign