University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Marketing | University of Illinois Archives
Marketing courses have been offered at the University since 1914, when an animal husbandry course called "Marketing Live Stock" was taught.1 Beginning in 1924, courses in marketing were offered by the Department of Business Organization and Operation in the College of Commerce and Business Administration.2 Since 1938, the Department has offered a program leading to a degree of B.S. in Marketing. In September 1953, a Department of Marketing was established to conduct courses in the management of distributing agencies and merchandizing enterprises and in the principles of advertising, marketing, and selling.3 In 1960, the Trustees authorized a graduate program leading to the degree of PhD in Marketing.4 In 1968, the Senate approved the merger of the Department of Industrial Administration, the Department of Marketing, and the Graduate School of Business Administration into the Department of Business Administration.5 In 1973, by approval of the Senate, the Master's degree programs in Commerce, Science in Marketing, and Science in Industrial Administration (Management) were converted into one program, Master of Science in Business Administration.6 Another merger occurred in 1974 when the doctoral degree programs in Business Administration, Philosophy in Business, and Philosophy in Marketing were converted into one program, Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration.7
1. Catalogs and Registers, 1914-15, p. 273.
2. Catalogs and Registers, 1924-25, p. 240-41.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, May 23, 1953, p. 647.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, July 26, 1960, p. 10-11.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, p. 9.
6. Board of Trustees Transaction, 57th Report, March 21, 1973, p. 233.
7. Ibid., May 15, 1974, p. 562.