University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition | University of Illinois Archives
The Trustees approved an undergraduate curriculum in Food Technology on June 23, 1947.1 The President of the University was authorized to INT a department head on August 5, 1947, and by July 28, 1949 the department was fully organized with most of its faculty positions filled.2 The Burnsides Research Laboratory was constructed for the department and completed by 1963.3 On June 19, 1963 the Department of Food Technology became the Department of Food Science.4 The department office was moved from Mumford Hall to Bevier Hall in 1968.5
On May 11, 1995, the Board of Trustees approved the renaming and reorganization of the College. It was renamed the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences and several changes were made in the organization of departments and divisions.6 The Department of Food Science was combined with the Division of Foods and Nutrition to create the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. The Division of Food and Nutrition had previously been part of the School of Human Resources and Family Studies, which was dissolved in the reorganization.7
The department offers courses in food science, food industry and business, dietetics, human nutrition, and hospitality management.8 Graduate study offer Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees specializing in the areas of food processing and food engineering, food packaging, food chemistry, biochemistry, food microbiology, food safety, biotechnology, human nutrition through the life cycle, nutritional aspects of exercise, nutrient metabolism, nutrition and disease interactions, nutrient composition of foods, community nutrition, and clinical nutrition.9
1. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 44th Report, June 23, 1947, p. 394.
2. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 487.
3. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 52nd Report, February 20, 1963, p. 368, Staff Directory 1963-64, p. xxvii.
4. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 52nd Report, June 19, 1963, p. 535.
5. Staff Directory, 1968-69, p. 34.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 68th Report, May 11, 1995, p. 277-8.
7. University of Illinois, Faculty and Student Senate, Urbana-Champaign Senate, meeting minutes, March 27, 1995, EP 94.33, p. 35; SEE Human and Community Development, RG 8/11.
8. Programs of Study 2001- 2003, p. 56.
9. Ibid., p. 230.