University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Illinois Historical Survey | University of Illinois Archives
The Illinois Historical Survey was organized in 1909 as a division of the Graduate School.1 Housed in Lincoln Hall, its primary purpose was to facilitate the research and writing of Illinois history.2 Until 1939 it cooperated with the Illinois State Historical Library in promoting the preparation of monographs on Illinois history.3 In 1966 the Survey moved to the University Library where it was designated a special departmental library in the University Library System, where it was jointly administered by the Library and the Graduate College.4 The collection and preservation of a wide range of historical materials, and the promotion of the study of the "Old Northwest" are its basic functions.5 Its holdings include French, British, Spanish, and American manuscripts, books, pamphlets, newspapers, broadsides, maps, and other materials that illustrate that history.6 In 1980 the Survey's connection with the Graduate College was ended. It continues to be a departmental library in the University Library System.7
1. Robert M. Sutton, "The Illinois Historical Survey: A Half-Century of Selective Acquisitions, " Illinois Libraries, February, 1970, p. 205; Board of Trustees Transactions, 25th Report, July 21, 1909, p. 220.
2. Marguerite J. Pease, "The Illinois Historical Survey Library, University of Illinois," Illinois Libraries, April, 1958, pp. 289-290.
3. Sutton, pp. 205-206.
4. Sutton, pl 206; Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, January 17, 1968, p. 887; Letter from Dean Alpert to Dean Downs, March 17, 1966.
5. Sutton, p. 205.
6. Sutton, pp. 205-210; Pease, pp. 298-301.
7. John Hoffman, interview, September 15, 1987, citing transfer agreement between the Graduate College and the Library System.