University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Division of Purchasing | University of Illinois Archives
The purchasing division purchases all articles and materials for the University except where the Board of Trustees has delegated the authority to someone else. This division advises members of departments on availability and cost of commodities and services. Purchases for the Physical Plant Department are made on recommendation of the Director of the Physical Plant. The Purchasing Division also supervises general storerooms of the University.1
The Purchasing Division originated in a 1905 recommendation by the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees that the office of Business Manager be divided into the offices of Chief Clerk, Comptroller and Purchasing Agent.2 The creation of the office was incorporated into the by-laws of the University in 1908, and the division was given authority to make purchases.3 Responsibilities of the office were expanded to their present form in 1936.4 The head of the division was called "Purchasing Agent" until 1947, when it was changed to "Director of Purchases" so that persons in charge of purchases for various divisions of the university could be called purchasing agents.5 Since the decentralization program of 1968-69, the Purchasing Division has been a part of the campus Office of Business Affairs.6
1. Statutes and General Rules Concerning University Organization and Procedure, 1958, p. 50.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, September 12, 1905, p. 258-259.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 25th Report, December 28, 1908, p. 66.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, March 10, 1936, p. 594.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, June 23, 1947, p. 394-395.
6. Report of the Comptroller for the year ending June 30, 1969, p. 2.