By David Shin, Jennifer Griest, Scott Schwartz, and Kelly A. Carlson[Printer Friendly] | [ Email us about these papers]
Extent: 74.6 cubic feet
The collection is organized in three series.
Series 1 contains sound recordings and films. The recordings are arranged by type of performance ensemble and identified with one of the following notations after the title (LP-H: Historic recording, UI: University of Illinois Band, U: Non-University of Illinois Collegiate Bands, M: Military Bands, S: Summer Camp and Festival Bands, and C: Community Bands). The recordings are arranged alphabetically by title within each grouping. The films are arranged numerically by film number.
Series 2 contains historical music instruments and ephemera used by musicians during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including two clarinets used by A. Smith while a member of the John Philip Sousa Band in 1900.
Series 3 contains manuscript music, published sheet music, concert programs, newspaper/magazine clippings, and photographs. The manuscript music and published music are arranged separately, alphabetically by composer. Whenever possible an identification of the format of the music for each title (i.e., full score, condensed score, piano score, and parts) has been identified with the corresponding abbreviations, FS, CS, PS, P. The concert programs, newspaper/magazine clippings, and photographs are unarranged.
Contains published sound recordings and transcription discs of a variety of American and European music performed by American wind bands. Of particular interest are early recordings of the John Philip Sousa band. In addition there are commercially produced films, manuscript music, published sheet music, concert programs, newspaper/magazine clippings, photographs, and musical instruments, all of which document American music and culture.
Two 78rpm sound recordings of c. 1908 performances by the Sousa Band and Herbert L. Clarke donated by Talbot G. Hinze on January 14, 2005.
Two historic Henri Farny clarinets of William Smith, nephew of A. Smith who played in the Sousa Band in 1900 donated by William H. Clark on March 29, 2005.
Published first edition piano score of Stars and Stripes dated 1897 donated by Mildred Johnson on May 19, 2005.
First editions of The Sousa March Folio (1902) and Sousa Folio Piano Solos No. 2 (1906) published by The John Church Company donated by Gae Neely on December 7, 2005.
Published concert program for a Sousa Band performance held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania dated September 10, 1898 donated by Josephine Z. Kibbee on April 27, 2007.
12/4/03, Edison Model C-150 "Sheridan" Disc Machine donated by Maynard and Jane Brichford on July 15, 2008 (accession number 2008.120950.008)
Correspondence, news clippings, photograph, script, and essays documenting the experience of Aline Fairbanks as the first woman to march in the University of Illinois Band in 1945 donated by Aline Fairbanks on January 14, 2010.
Four original published part books to John Philip Sousa's National, Patriotic and Typical Airs of All Nations, 1889 donated by John Rosch on September 16, 2010.
Hugh S. Lippman Papers donated by Nancy Hueper on December 2, 2011.
One photograph featuring A.A. Harding at the Grand Canyon in 1951 donated by Robert Cowan on December 20, 2011.
Two 78rpm disc recordings of the University of Illinois Band under the direction of A. Austin Harding, c. 1930 donated by Bill Thielbahr on May 19, 2011.
Charles H Parsons Bb Cornet donated by Lois Palen on June 14, 2012.
Marching Illini band jacket, photographs, music, and marching routines donated by Timothy K. Theesfeld on September 10, 2012.
Carl Busch Photograph and Newspaper Scrapbook donated by Taylor Mitchell on November 12, 2012.
Elizabeth Terhune Lingua Press Papers Donated to the Sousa Archives and Center for American Music on August 22, 2013 by Elizabeth Terhune. Mrs. Turhune met Kenneth Gaburo at Oberlin College whilst studying concrete poetry with Dary John Mizelle, but remained in contact with him and Lingua Press.
1952 Rose Bowl film donated by Kenneth D. Walter on September 26, 2013.
Illinois Opera Theatre Enthusiasts Opera Newslines (vol. 1, no. 1, 1990) transferred from University Archives to Sousa Archives and Center for American Music on November 15, 2013.
John Philip Sousa royalty records, press clippings, and Kate Latter's shopping bag donated by Carol Hansen on January 24, 2014.
Dorothy Mabus Audio Recordings donated to the Sousa Archives March 27, 2014 by Donald McDowell. Includes autographed Sousa recording.
Paul Zonn's Revolutions for Solo Clarinet (1969 version) donated by Karen Bird on April 22, 2014.
Ted and Andrea Anderson A. Jacobson Sousa Band Photographs donated to the Sousa Archives May 2, 2014.
"Sousa's Band Will Play" 1897 newspaper clipping donated by Frank Bryant on behalf of Mary Agnes Snider on June 17, 2014.
Selmer Modele 22 Eb Alto Saxophone transferred from the University of Illinois School of Music to the Sousa Archives on July 11, 2014.
Jay Bennett ink drawing donated by Mr. Harry Buerkett on July 25, 2014.
Loren E. Kent Papers donated by Bradley Kent on October 24, 2014. Includes Sousa Band route sheets.
Ben Vereecken's Foundation to Saxophone Playing: An Elementary Method (1917) donated by Jim Waddell on November 17, 2014.
Additional Hugh S. Lippman Papers and Fillmore Music House oboe c. 1920 donated by Nancy Hueper on December 17, 2014.
Michael M. Martin Collection of Published Movie-Theme Sheet Music donated on January 23, 2015 by Hannah Jellen.
Holton Mellophone, case, and attachments donated by John Holzaepfel on January 29, 2015.
McKinley Presbyterian Choir direct-cut disk donated on February 10, 2015 by Harry Cross of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
National Broadcasting Company Thesaurus Record 1071 radio transcription disc was donated by Robert Bass on May 1, 2015. Transferred to RS 26/20/209 in January 2018.
A box of 29 LP sound recordings of various historic wind-band performances between c. 1930 and 1980 were donated by an anonymous donor to University Bands during the spring of 2015, and the recordings were transferred to the Sousa Archives on May 10, 2015.
Two 78 rpm sound recordings (10 inch discs) of the 107th Cavalry Dance Band and the 107th Cavalry Band (including The Black Horse Troop, Written and Dedicated to 107th Cavalry by John Philip Sousa), donated by Judy Gehman on June 19, 2015.
John Cage HPSCHD t-shirt donated by Michael Van Blaricum on June 23, 2015.
Postcard and Conn advertisement donated by Robert Bass on July 16, 2015. Transferred to RS 26/20/209 in January 2018.
Electronic Music from the University of Illinois, Computer Music from the University of Illinois, and Music from Mathematics LPs donated Edward M. Reingold October 7, 2015.
Frank's Drum Shop snare drum transferred by Linda Moorhouse from University Bands to the Center in 2015.
University of Illinois Concert Band photograph from March 3, 1921 in St. Louis, MO donated by Jackson County Historical Society on January 11, 2016.
Steve Pherigo Local Concert Ephemera acquired on June 25, 2013.
Wilder Bentley Music and Papers donated by Bently, acquired on March 1, 2016.
Letter from Harry Partch to Carl Bauman donated by Jeff Wanswer of Hiram University on January 26, 2016.
Sousa Band concert program from the Victory Theatre donated by Edward Hillman on May 27, 2016.
"58 English Songs" by John Hullah, presented by John Philip Sousa to W.E. Woodruff donated by Linda Lawyer on October 5, 2015.
Claude Gordon Selmer testimonials, dimensions for Besson "Meha" trumpet, and Selmer brochure and contract donated by Carl Leach on October 15, 2016.
Postcard depicting the University of Illinois regiment band practicing on a field, donated by Bob Bass on October 28, 2016. Transferred to RS 26/20/209 in January 2018.
Photograph of the University of Illinois Band in roller skates (1927) donated by Scott Schwartz on November 1, 2016.
Sousa Album for the Pianoforte (1923), donated by Thomas Dannelley on December 14, 2016.
James Warren York BBb Tuba (serial number 53410) with original case donated by Ann and Ally Sussman on January 9, 2017
Panoramic Photograph of John Philip Sousa with the Great Lakes Naval Battalion Band 1918 donated by Dwight Thomas February 4, 2017.
Audio Interview with Bill Monroe and Seldom Scene donated by Ben Halpern May 5, 2017.
Our Leader March by F.E. Bigelow donated by Heather Brooks of Champaign, IL on May 26, 2017.
Martin Double-Bell Euphonium transferred to the Sousa Archives from the School of Music by Nathan Mandel on June 10, 2017.
Farm Aid publication donated by Mark Metcalf of WCIA-TV on August 23, 2017.
Dean Marable "Buck" Wade Marching Illini Letterman's Jacket (1960-1964) on September 5, 2017.
Kenneth Gaburo and Gary Verkade correspondence donated by Gary Verkade on October 4, 2017.
"We're Loyal to You Illinois," book with autographs of nearly every Illinois band director; copy of the program for the Forty-Sixth Anniversary Concert of the University of Illinois Concert Band performance (1936); and notes and correspondence by M. Mullis, donated by Mark Clark on October 27, 2017.
Music and sound recordings of Illinois State Fair Theme Song "One Hundred Fifty Years - Our Illinois," came from the University Band (given to the University Band by composer Earl Oyler in 1976) to the Sousa Archives on November 1, 2017.
CD "Long Roll: A Tribute to Composer-Percussionist Michael Manion" donated to the Sousa Archives by Robert Fleisher on December 7, 2017.
Faculty piano recital program. Kenneth Drake, September 9, 1980, donated by Tim Sozen on December 13, 2017.
Regal Zonophone 78, Stars and Stripes Forever and Washington Post March by Raymonde and His Band O' Banjos, 1937, purchased by Scott Schwartz for the Sousa Archives on December 19, 2017.
Two Barbara Mettler publications: Basic Movement Exercises, 1973, and The Nature of Dance As a Creative Art Activity, 1980, transferred from Student Life and Culture on December 20, 2017. Note: for other dance-related records, see Department of Dance, RS 12/13/1.
Db Piccolo, unidentified maker, donated by Bruce Bohall February 5, 2018.
Eddie Alkire lesson booklets and sheet music donated by Paul Warnick on March 2, 2018. Note: for more Alkire materials, see RS 12/9/150 and RS 12/9/101.
Materials related to Jerry Hadley donated by David Allen at the School of Music on February 26, 2018.
Coming Through the Rye (Frederick Neil Innes, arr. Herbert Koch) donated by David Guion on May 18, 2018.
Oliver Nelson, Lab Band, and Max Roach and the Black Chorus April 20, 1972 and March 21, 1972 recordings donated by Karl Huff on September 28, 2018.
Acquired from Music and Performing Arts Library on October 31, 2018: Partita by Burrill Phillips, and 3 as yet unidentified audio reels, thought to be donated to MPAL by UIUC chemistry professor Sherlock Swann (sent out for digitization).
5th Annual National High School Band Contest program donated to University Archives in 2003 by Janet McMahon, transferred to Sousa Archives on Nov. 30, 2018.
Dan Russo sound recording and photograph donated by Gary Bricault on Nov. 7, 2018.
Three Harry Partch LPs from Gate 5 Records donated by Tom Siwe on January 7, 2019.
Two piano rolls donated by Raymond and Ann Borelli on February 10, 2014.
Vertebrats CD donated by Roy Axford on December 22, 2018.
Piano roll El Capitan March donated by Richard and Nancy Tufte on July 31, 2018.
Advancement Orchestra Folios moved from Hunleth Sheet Music on March 3, 2019.
Geoffrey Britten Letter and Photograph on May 2, 2019.
Kevin Greene Medicare 7, 8, or 9 Bumper Sticker transferred on May 23, 2019 from Student Life Archives.
T.M. Koeder Majestic trumpet, Lyon and Healy silver piston cornet, and Rudolph Wurlitzer Lyric cornet donated by Jason Gardner on June 24, 2019.
Victor H. Johnson Correspondence and Sousa Program donated by Susan Crist on June 28, 2019.
Conn "Victor" Cornet Model 4A and Orignal Documents donated by Peter Vallandigham on September 3, 2019.
Posters, Programs, and Souvenir Booklets, Correspondence Letters from Frank Simon and Captain Eugene La Barre to Bates E. Clarke, and U.S. Marine Band Press Kit donated by Marianne Basham on September 9, 2019.
Harwood Jenkins Eb Alto saxophone and Fernand Chapelain clarinet donated by Jim Holmes on September 20, 2019.
Henry Potter Music Company rope tension field drum, Royal Welch Fusiliers B-flat bugle, The Royal Grenaders Shash, and papers donated by Elizabeth Wattenberg, October 7, 2019.
Haldane and Norma Bean Papers, Holton tenor saxophone, and Cavalier clarinet donated by Norma Bean on November 26, 2019.
Evelyn Brue-Roeder Music and Papers, donated by Paul Warnik, February 12, 2020.
"Musicircus" and "Matrix Extra" concert posters transferred from University Archives record series 4/5/7 on February 19, 2020.
Lisa DiChiera donated an autographed John Philip Sousa quote, memorial service program for David DiChiera (2018) and a commemorative program guide for David DiChiera's opera Cyrano (2007).
Judith L. Miller donated photograph of husband Charles G. Miller and Conn 88H Trombone and Method book owned by him on October 13, 2020.
Paul Weichsel donated audio recordings of the Collegium Musicum of the University of Illinois on November 20, 2020.
Linda Dutton donated photograph of John Philip Sousa at Chautauqua, New York, ca. 1931 on April 7, 2021
Renee Potter donated Opal Potter Sheet Music Collection on April 12, 2021.
John Thieman donated the John Thieman University of Illinois Band Posters on August 5, 2020.
University of Illinois Band Posters and Papers donated by Will Musgrove on June 25, 2021
Holton Eb tuba and Fox bassoon donated by the School of Music on July 23, 2001.
Indian Music of the Southwest LP donated by Scott Schwartz on July 30, 2001.
Harry Partch correspondence and Oedipus sound recording and articles donated by Sheri Crawford on August 3, 2021
1896 Criterion Disc Player and four Zinc Discs donated by Richard Keck on September 10, 2021.
University Bands Jacket worn by Jon Toman's sister circa 1980s. Donated by Jon Toman in 2018.
A Sousa Band's - The Ballet Music of William Tell 10" disc. Donated by Phyllis Ruttenberg in November 2021.
First Hawaiian Conservatory of Music Hawaiian Guitar Correspondence Courses. Donated by Anne Wheatley, January 18, 2022.
"Dewar at the Table", yellow X-Large T-Shirt, donated by Charles Segard on April 26, 2022.
Music for Percussion: Paul Price and His Ensemble (LP), The Crimson and Gold, Grand Concert Rag, Let's Sing to Victory, and The Sousa March Folio (sheet music), donated by Mary Hodson on May 17, 2022.
"Baby Mine" sheet music, donated by Pete Griffin on July 15, 2022.
University of Illinois Second Regimental Band - Section A LP, donated by Mark Zip on July 15, 2022.
John Rosch sheet music, donated by John Rosch on August 20, 2022.
Motorola Scalatron was transferred from the School of Music to the Sousa Archives on September 3, 2022 for long-term preservation. The transfer was approved by Nathan Mandel.
Starcastle BBC Radio Rock Hour #15, 1978 broadcast recording donated by Mark Williams December 20, 2022.
Hymnals and Hawaiian Guitar Method Books owned by Marjorie McDaniel Letot donated by Julie Elder November 8, 2022.
Sheet Music Collection and Boehm System Clarinet Fingering Chart donated by Margaret Martin January 4, 2023.
Cloydia Hill Larimore One Eyed Jacks and Blytham Limited Collection donated by Pamela Hill July 2022.
Acquisition Method: The sound recordings were acquired by Mark Hindsley and Harry Begian during their tenures as directors of the University of Illinois bands. The films were transferred from the School of Music to the Sousa Archives in April 2005 and the sheet music was donated in 1998 and May 2005.
Other Note: Pages
Manufactured in Lille, France by J. Gras (ca. 1868-1956) and imported by Fillmore Music House in Cincinnati, OH. Instrument owned by Hugh Lippman. Donated by Nancy Hueper on December 17, 2014.
Accession number: 2014.120950.02
Frank Holton Mellophone in C (serial number 23603) with leather case, two mouthpieces, lyre, various lead pipes and crooks. Donated January 29, 2015 by John Holzaepfel.
Accession number 2015.1209050.001 A- M.
James Warren York BBb Tuba (serial number 53410) with original case. Donated January 9, 2017 by Ann and Ally Sussman.
Accession number 2017.1209050.001.
Tuba originally belonged to Karl L. Toenjes (December 17, 1928-July 9, 2014), who spent most of his life in St. Louis, MO. The tuba was probably used during Karl's service in the West Point Military Band where he was stationed for WWII. Karl studied bass from a member of the St. Louis Symphony before the start of WWII, and after the war played for two years as a string bass musician with the St. Louis Symphony. Karl remained an active musician for the rest of his life, and played both the tuba and string bass in many different local St. Louis ensembles.
Conn "Victor" Cornet Model 4A with all original parts. Serial number 272902. Original items included: Conn cornet case; Conn Brilliante metal mute; Lyre; Screwdriver. Other items included: Vincent Bach Corp., New York 7 cornet mouthpiece; Vincent Bach Corp., New York 6C cornet mouthpiece; Unmarked trumpet mouthpiece; Cornet to Trumpet mouthpiece adapter; Finger ring; Valve casing cleaning rod. See also Original Documents including Receipt, March Book, and User Guide, Series 3, Box 73, Folder 4.
Donated to the Sousa Archives September 3, 2019 by Peter Vallandigham. Accession number 2019.1209050.005.
Donated by Diana Martin Wade September 14, 2017. Band Letterman's jacket, sized medium, with blue wool and orange leather sleeves made by Burean-Holloway Knitting Mills. Contains Shield-shaped U of I Bands pendant on front and Marching Illini stitched lettering on the back in yellow-orange thread. Accession number: 2017.1209050.003.
Dean Marable "Buck" Wade was a percussionist and timpanist in the University of Illinois Concert Band between 1960 and 1964. As an undergraduate at the University of Illinois, Wade played alongside several other top performers including Harvey Hermann, Shirley Blankenship, and Danlee Mitchell. After graduating in 1964, Wade joined the United States Marine Band and played with the group until 1968. After freelancing in Washington DC, Wade became a high school band director in Joliet, Illinois in 1970. In 1972, Wade persued a masters degree in music and computer-based education at the University of Illinois. While a graduate student, Wade studied with Tom Siwe and was a member of the University of Illinois Percussion Ensemble. After graduating in 1975, He joined the faculty of Illinois State as a percussionist and band director, soon after joining the staff of Interlochen in 1977. From 1979 to 1990, Wade left his career in music to become an executive consultant within Control Data Corporation. In 1990 he founded the IT corporation of Learning Technologies International. From 1998-2005 he worked as the director of International IT, Raytheon. Wade returned to performance in 1997 when he served as the Musical Director of the National Concert Band of America, a position he held until his death 2005.
Frank's Drum Shop snare drum; maple rims, walnut laminate shell, steel French clock-style tuning keys and hardware, and skin heads. Label on inside of head lists Frank's Drum Shop, Wabash Ave., Chicago. Transferred from University Bands by Linda Moorehouse in 2015. Drum did not originally belong to University Bands.
Condition: Fair. snare mechanism broken..
Accession number: 2020.120950.001
Trombone originally owned by Charles G. Miller (1940-2012), Professor of Molecular Biology at the University of Illinois from 1990-2012. Miller served as head of the Microbiology Department from 1997-2007 and was the founding director of the School of Molecular and Celular Biology. Miller began his undergraduate studies in music at the University of Indiana, where he performed trombone, but switched majors to Chemistry in his junior year and graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1963. He completed his PhD in Biochemistry at Northwestern University in 1968. He was an enthusiastic trombonist throughout his life, playing in amateur orchestras until his arrival at the University of Illinois.
Conn 88H with F attachment. Rose brass bell. Includes four mouthpieces (Remington in leather case, Beversdorf 3G with lead pipe, Vincent Bach 2G, and Vincent Bach 4G). Good Condition.
Aqcuisition Number 2020.1209050.002