By Carol Berthold
[Printer Friendly] | [
Email us about these papers]
Title: James S. Parker Sheet Music Collection, 1860-1970
Primary Creator: Parker, James S. (1940-)
Extent: 1.0 cubic feet
Date Acquired: 03/07/2023. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Music, Music - United States, Vocal music
Languages: English, Polish
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Consists of published sheet music and method books by New York and Chicago publishers dating between 1860 and 1970. The music was used by Jim Parker's grandfather, Frank Gore, who had a small band in the early 1900s and his grandfather's brother, Lou Gore who played piano in this band as well as several other local bands in Poy Sippi, Wisconsin after WWII. During WWII Lou served in the Canadian army as a military musician.
James S. Parker was born April 24, 1940 into a musical family—his grandfather Frank Gore and uncle Lou Gore were both professional musicians. James attended Lane Tech High School in Chicago and graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1963. In 1967, Parker worked as a part-time photographer and later as a partner at Copelin Commercial Photographs, which was established in Chicago in 1856. Parker bought Copelin in 1972. Following this, he worked at City Hall in Chicago and served as an aide to Congressman Frank Annunzio until 1992.
The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
Additional material acquired March 16, 2023.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
Browse by Box:
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Dance Folio for 1926, Gem: No. 2, 1925
- Mid-Season's most popular songs. Shapiro, Bernstein & Co.: New York.
- Folder 2: Fats Waller's Original Piano Conceptions, 1936
- Mills Music, Inc.: New York.
- Folder 3: International Polkas, 1943
- Arr. by Joseph Elsnic. For piano solo. Vitak-Elsnic Co.: Chicago.
- Folder 4: Lawrence Welk's Polka Folio, 1942
- For piano and piano accordion. Leeds Music Corp.: New York.
- Folder 5: Old Time Jigs and Reels for the Violin, 1906
- Oliver Ditson Co.: Boston, MA.
- Folder 6: Music Method Book: EZ Method for Hawaiian Guitar, 1937
- Wm. J. Smith Music Co., Inc: New York.
- Folder 7: Music Method Book: McNeil Chord System for Tenor Banjo, 1923
- Forster Music Publisher, Inc.: Chicago.
- Folder 8: Music Method Book: Self Instructior for the Tenor or Plectrum Banjo, 1916
- By . Stumpf. Southern California Music Co.: Los Angeles, CA.
- Folder 9: Single Pieces: "Alabamy Bound" - "Donna E Mobile", 1875-1948
- Pieces: Alabamy Bound: Ray Henderson, 1925. All That I Need Is You: Lester Santly & Abel Baer, 1921. Aloha Oe: Queen Lydia Liluokalni, 1935. Anvil Chorus:Theo Krausse (arr.). Ave Maria: Charles Gounod, undaated. Blueberry Hill: Al Lewis, Larry Stock and Vincent Rose, 1940. Bright Eyes: Sister of St. Joseph, 1909. Cheerio! I'll Be Seeing You: Harry Thompson and Ray Terry, 1939. Cuanto Le Gusta: Gabriel Ruiz, 1948. Dance of the Butterflies: Arnold DeVere, 1911. Dear Heart, We're Growing Old!: H.M. Estabrooke, 1875. Donna E Mobile: Guiseppe Verdi, 1921.
- Folder 10: Single Pieces: "Golden Earrings" - "Love's Old Sweet Song", 1906-1946
- Pieces: Golden Earrings: Victor Young, 1946. Good Bye!: F. Paolo Tosti, undated. Gypsy Dance: H. Lichner, undated. Happy Again: G.G. Bunner, 1946. Hurricane, The: S.L. Alpert, 1906. I Never Knew I Could Love Anybody: Tom Pitts, Ray Egan and Roy Marsh, 1920. I'm Gonna Have A Cowboy Weddin': Nat Vincent and Milo Sweet, 1940. I'm Just a Lucky So-and So: Duke Ellington, 1945. Il Bacio Waltz: F. Lanner, undated. Little Fairy Polka: Streabbog, 1935. Love's Old Sweet Song: J.L. Molloy, undated.
- Folder 11: Single Pieces: "Meditation" - "Rustic Dance", 1906-1946
- Pieces: Meditation: C.S. Morrison, 1906. Memory of Youth: G.G. Bunner, 1946. Mississippi Flood Song, The: Sarah Westcott, 1927. My Love: Russ Columbo, 1932. Off to the Fire: Paul Santon, 1925. Open Up the Golden Gates to Dixieland: Gus Van and Joseph Schenck, 1919. Over the Waves: Juventino Rosas, undated. Parade of the Wooden Soldiers: Leon Jessel, 1932. Pretty Kitty Blue Eyes: Vic Mizzy, 1944. Rustic Dance: C.R. Howell, undated.
- Folder 12: Single Pieces: "Softly Oe'r the RIppling Waters" - "You Came Along", 1866-1941
- Pieces: Softly o'er the Rippling Waters: J.R. Thomas. 1866. Soldiers of the King, The: Leslie Stuart, 1908. Storm King, The: E.T. Paull, 1902. Un Giorno in Venezia: Ethelbert Nevin, 1898. Upon the Danube River: Hamilton Aide, 1868. When I Love I Love: Harry Warren, 1941. Wagon Trails: Hap Lambie, 1938. Winter Wonderland: Felix Bernard, 1934. You and I: Claribel, undated. You Came Along: John W. Green,1931.