Administrative History of Creating Unit
The Board of Trustees approved the organization of the Center for Instructional Research and Curriculum Evaluation (CIRCE) in 1964 as a service and research agency within the College of Education. Prior to September 1, 1964 its official title had been the Office of Educational Testing.1 CIRCE brought together activities which were previously operated informally from the office of the University Examiner, the Bureau of Educational Research, and other College offices. The University Examiner acted as its first director.2 CIRCE scores standard tests for school children and provides technical assistance for educational research.
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, June 17, 1964, pp. 1245-46.
2. J. Thomas Hastings served as first director to CIRCE (Supplement to Board of Trustees Minutes, 52nd Report, June 17, 1964, pp. 486-87); however, he was not listed under the official title of "Director of CIRCE" until 1968 (Supplement to Board of Trustees Minutes, 54th Report, June 19, 1968, p. 577). Robert E. Stake, who had been Associate Director since the creation of CIRCE, took over as Director in 1975 (Supplement to Board of Trustees Minutes, 58th Report, September 17, 1975, p. UC090).