Title: Max Kahn notes on Marcel Proust, 1950s
ID: 01/02/02/POST 1650 0671
Primary Creator: Kahn, Max
Extent: 3.0 Items
Date Acquired: 00/00/2016
Subjects: Albaret, Celeste, Proust, Marcel - 1871-1922
Languages: English, French, German
Scope and Contents of the Materials
This collection contains Max Kahn's account of his visit to Marcel Proust's home and his disussion with Proust's former housekeeper, Celeste Albaret; his sketches of Proust's home with comparisons to the Combray house from In Search of Lost Time; and a translation of Wolf van Harder's article "Marcel Proust and the Valet Albert," accompanied by a facsimile of the original German text.
Collection Historical Note
During the 1950s, as scholars became increasingly interested in Marcel Proust's life, many sought out Proust's family and friends for interviews. Proust's former housekeeper, Celeste Albaret, became an important figure for those seeking to learn about Proust's personal affairs. Albaret worked for Proust from 1914-1922, after an introduction by her husband, Odilon Albaret, who was Proust's chauffeur. Proust was so fond of Celeste that he named a character after her in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Amateur Proust scholar Max Kahn visited Celeste Albaret in the later part of 1952 for an interview and wrote about his experience meeting her and Odilon.
Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Donated by David Strauss
Additional Marcel Proust collections are held at the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Urbana-Champaign.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: "Marcel Proust and the Valet", undated
- Item 1: "Marcel Proust and the Valet", undated
- Item 2: "Tissot" note, undated
- Item 3: "Marcel Proust and the Valet" facsimile, undated
- Folder 2: Meeting with Celeste Albaret, 1952
- Item 1: Meeting with Celeste Albaret handwritten draft, 1952
- Item 2: Meeting with Celeste Albaret handwritten draft, 1952
- Folder 3: Notes from interview with Celeste Albaret, 1952
- Folder 4: Notes comparing Illier and Combray, undated
- Folder 5: "Visit to Celeste Albaret - late Sept 1952." Container Folder, undated