Robert C. Hallowell, of Leroy, Ill., was a principal musician in the 39th Ill. Vol. Inf. He served from Sept. 18, 1861, to Sept. 18, 1864. After the war he returned to Leroy.
This collection includes Hallowell's diary from Feb. to Sept., 1864, in which he discusses military life and describes several minor skirmishes. The diary also includes a detailed account of Hallowell's travels immediately after his discharge. Hallowell and a friend, R. C. Randolph, travelled by rail and boat to Washington, D.C., where they toured the U.S. Post Office, Patent Office, Smithsonian Institution, Capitol, and Treasury Building. Hallowell also notes his impressions of the White House and the Washington Monument. Hallowell and Randolph travelled on to Baltimore, where they visited the Battle Monument and Shot Tower. In Philadelphia they visited Satterlee Hospital, the Fairmount Water Works, the U.S. Mint, the Academy of Fine Arts, and the William Penn Hotel, and attended services in both Catholic and Baptist churches. Hallowell also reports on a Republican rally he witnessed in Independence Square, replete with fireworks, bands, and a mile-long procession to celebrate Gen. Sheridan's victories at Third Winchester and Fisher's Hill.
The collection also includes Hallowell's personal account book, 1875-92. Hallowell used the account book to record personal income and expenses. Among the goods and services he recorded are lumber, corn, mules, cows, hay, tobacco, beef, sewing machines, freight on pumps, and dues to a building and loan association. In addition, there are records of the sale and rental of Hallowell's extensive property holdings in the vicinity of Leroy. Other expenses include tickets to a library concert and the theatre, dues to the "Library and Reading Room Association," and orders for organ parts and sheet music. The collection also contains two tax forms, a bill of goods, and a campaign leaflet.
Hallowell's diary was transferred from the University Archives to the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections in 2010. His account book came to the Library before 1967.