Scope and Contents:
According to Roy Jay Kyger's booklet, The Kyger Water Mill (c.1930s), the Kyger mill was built in 1835 on the Vermilion River near Grape Creek, about four miles below of Danville, Ill. In 1850, it was bought by Henry T. Kyger, who soon formed a partnership with two brothers. Their three-story mill was primarily used for grinding flour and sawing wood. It continued in operation until about 1900. In addition to the booklet, this collection includes two receipts (187-) of the Kyger Bros. Flour Millers, and three small pictures of the mill. The mill was once located on the property of Blanche Haskins, who donated the collection to the Illinois Historical Survey in 1974.