By Judit Balassa, Kelsey Berryhill, Caitlin Crane, Krista Habing, Katie Nichols, and Mary Roback
[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Title: Poster Children and Salaryman Bands Records, 1986-2009
Primary Creator: Poster Children (1987-)
Extent: 15.8 cubic feet
Arrangement: Organized in three series: Series 1, Publicity, 1986-2009; Series 2, Audiovisual Materials and Photographs, 1987-2004; and Series 3, Administrative Records, 1987-2007. Series 1 consists of four subseries: Subseries 1.1, Magazines, 1987-2005 ; Subseries 1.2, Newsclippings, fan mail, and ephemera, 1986-2007; Subseries 1.3, Posters and flyers, 1989-2009; and Subseries 1.4, T-shirts and Backstage Passes, c.1991-2000.
Date Acquired: 06/03/2014
Subjects: Champaign, Illinois, Compositions-Music, Concert tours, Kantoff, Howie, Marshack, Rose, Music - United States, Music business, Popular Music--Illinois--Urbana-Champaign, Rock Music, Rock musicians United States, University of Illinois, Valentin, Jim, Valentin, Rick
Formats/Genres: Sound Recordings
Languages: English, German, French
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Consists of business records, photographs, news clippings and magazine articles, press kits, correspondence, audiovisual recordings, posters, original art work, reviews, tour reports and travel logs, t-shirts, and memorabilia documenting the performances, operation, management, and sound recording production of the Midwest indie rock bands Poster Children and Salaryman, and the operation and management of 12 Inch Records between 1986 and 2009. Highlights include a copy of co-founder Rose Marshack's online tour diary, early interactive CD's, and Poster Children's 1992 Warner Brothers recording contract, that marks the growing success of a midwest indie band.
The band Poster Children was formed in 1987 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign when Rick Valentin (guitar) and Rose Marshack (bass) met Shannon Drew (drums). Over the next seventeen years the band, under the leadership of Valentin and Marshack, produced eleven different studio recordings of alternative rock, indie rock, punk rock, and post-hardcore rock music including Toreador Squat (1988), Flower Plower (1989), Daisychain Reaction (1991), Tool of the Man (1993), Junior Citizen (1995), RTFM (1997), New World Record (1999), DDD (2000), and No More Songs About Sleep and Fire (2004). The band's "do it yourself" work ethic was reflected in its members' wish to drive their own tour bus, create their own artwork and t-shirt designs, and operate their own record label, 12 Inch Records (also given on some releases as Twelve Inch Records). The band also pioneered the development of several new forms of electronic performance art including enhanced CDs, webcasts, and social-networking blogs, before these technologies were adopted by commericial sound recording companies. In addition, Poster Children also toured internationally in Europe in 1996 to the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, and Denmark. Beginning in the late 1990s Rick and Jim Valentin, Rose Marshack, and Howie Kantoff joined forces to form the band, Salaryman, and released the first of three studio recordings, Salaryman, in 1997, Karoshi (1999), and The Electric Forest (2006). The CD Future Form of Intelligence (2008) was incorrectly attributed to Salaryman by the website allmusic.com .
The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
Rick Valentin and Rose Marshack
Six items in series 1.4: "T-shirts and Backstage Passes" are indicated as being in "poor condition" and are classified as such because they have stains and/or holes. The items labeled as "poor condition" are as follows:
2014.2620193.02, 2014.2620193.06, 2014.2620193.12, 2014.2620193.18, 2014.2620193.20, 2014.2620193.23
For more information please see http://www.posterchildren.com/.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
[Series 1: Publicity, 1986-2009],
[Series 2: Audiovisual Recordings and Photographs, 1987-2006
[Series 3: Administrative Records, 1987-2007
Browse by Series:
- Series 1: Publicity, 1986-2009
- Series 1 contains magazines, newsclippings, reviews, press kits, radio station promo kits, graphic design elements used in the creation of promotional items, newsletters (such as dorm or record store newsletters), a printout of Rose Marshack's online tour diary, fan mail, posters, flyers, t-shirts and backstage passes. These publicity materials document the promotional activites of Poster Children from 1986 to 2009. In addition, some items document the promotional activities of Salaryman from 1997 to 2007 and of 12 Inch Records' label artists from 1990-1993. The series is organized by format into four subseries: Subseries 1.1, Magazines, 1987-2005; Subseries 1.2, Newsclippings, Fan Mail and Ephemera, 1986-2007; Subseries 1.3, Posters and Flyers, 1989-2009; and Subseries 1.4, T-shirts and Backstage Passes, 1991-2000.
- Sub-Series 1.1: Magazines, 1987-2005
- Subseries 1.1 Magazines consists of magazines with mentions of Poster Children or Salaryman from 1987-2005. A few of the magazines are in foreign languages as a result of their European record distribution and concert tours. Magazines are arranged alphabetically by title.
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Magazines - B Titles, 1990-2004
- Includes Beware the Cat Issue 6, Beware the Cat Spring/Summer '98, The Big Takeover Issue 54, Bad Toad zine Issue 1 (2 copies), Bad Toad zine Issue 3
- Folder 2: Magazines - C Titles, 1995-1998
- Includes Cake zine Volume 11 Issue 31, CMJ New Music Report Issue 598
- Folder 3: Magazines - D Titles, 1992-1999
- Includes The Daytripper zine Volume 1 Issue 1 (2 copies), DMR June 21-July 5, 1992, Dirt zine Number 41, Dirt zine Number 34 (2 copies), Dwarf zine 24
- Folder 4: Magazines - E Titles, 1989-1990
- Includes Empire Monthly (cover artist, Tar, 2 copies), Eighteen Wheeler Issue 3, Empire Monthly (cover artist, Precious Wax Drippings)
- Folder 5: Magazines - F Titles, 1993-1995
- Fiz Volume 1 Number 3, Front Wheel Drive zine 42, Flipside Number 86 (2 copies), fmphasis zine, Free zine Volume 1 Issue 4
- Folder 6: Magazines - G Titles, 1992-1997
- Includes Guitar Player August 1993 (2 copies), Gonzo Circus 28, Girljock, Genetic Disorder zine Issue 6
- Folder 7: Magazines - H Titles, 1992-1998
- Includes Harakiri 8, The Hedonist zine Issue 13, 60 Hz Hum Winter 1992-3, Headsplitter zine Issue 5 (2 copies)
- Folder 8: Magazines - J Titles, 1994-2002
- Includes Jersey Beat Number 58, Jersey Beat Number 52, Jersey Beat Number 71
- Folder 9: Magazines - K-L Titles, 1992-1996
- Includes Kill Everyone Now zine, Lime Lizard August 1992
- Folder 10: Magazines - N Titles, 1988-1990
- The New Puritan Review Number 6, No Cover zine Issue 10, No Cover zine Issue 8
- Folder 11: Magazines - O Titles, 1990-1994
- Includes Option Number 59, Option Number 31
- Folder 12: Magazines - P Titles, 1998
- Includes Positive Rage zine, Premonition Number 28, Polyvinyl Press zine Number 2
- Folder 13: Magazines - T Titles, 1995-2005
- Includes Time June 12, 1995, Time January 24, 2005
- Folder 14: Magazines - Y Titles, 1989-1993
- Includes Your Flesh Number 17, Your Flesh Number 28
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Magazines - R Titles, 1990-2003
- Includes Red Rag (January 2003), Ray Gun (Number 24, March 1995), Rolling Stone (June 14, 1990), Rolling Stone (September 19, 1991), and Rabid #7.
- Folder 2: Magazines - S Titles, 1988-1998
- Includes Sound Seen Issues #2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 13, Sneech (June 1996), Sour Grapes (June 1995), 60 Cycle Hum (Winter 1989), Salt for Slugs (Vol. 1, Issue 2), Sassy (Apr. 1995), Sensor (1997), Shakeface (May 1997), Sour Grapes (undated), Speed Kills (Issue #5), Science Geek (Issue #2), Spleen (Issue #2), Spectrum (March 1995), Spin (Vol. 7, No. 1), Spin (Mar. 1995), Squirrel Scream (Sept, 1998, includes personal note from Holly), and Super Duper (Spring 1997).
- Folder 3: Magazines - U-X Titles, 1993-2000
- Includes Vera Krant (#6 and #15), Wind-up Frozen Entree (Oct. 1993), Wind-up Toaster Pastry (Apr. 1994), and Wired (June 2000).
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Magazines - A Titles, 1987-1995
- Includes Accidental Tribe (June 1987), Ablaze (#8), Abus Dangereux (June-Sept. 1995), Alternative Press (#38), and Alternative Press (#59, June 1993).
- Folder 2: Magazines - I Titles, 1991-2004
- Includes Illinois Entertainer (May 1991, Feb. 1995, and Jan. 2004), Les Inrockuptibles (Mar. 1998), Imminent (July 1992), Interview (June 1996), and Into the Gravy (2002).
- Folder 3: Magazines - M Titles, 1993-2004
- Includes Mac Directory (Spring 2001), Magnet (Oct/Nov 2004), Merlin's Music Box (Dec. 1993), MicroFilm (Summer 2002), and Milk (#8, two copies).
- Sub-Series 1.2: Newsclippings, Fan Mail, and Ephemera, 1986-2007
- Subseries 1.2 includes newsclippings, reviews, press kits, radio station promo kits, graphic design elements used in creating promotional items, newsletters (such as dorm or record store newsletters), a printout of Rose Marshack's online tour diary, and fan mail. The subseries document the publicity activities of and fan reaction to Poster Children from 1986 to 2007. In addition, a few items document the publicity activities of Salaryman from 1997 to 2007 and the 12 Inch Records artists from 1991 to 2004. The materials are arranged first by category of materials and then chronologically. Unless indicated otherwise, the folders relate to Poster Children material.
- Box 1
- Folder 15: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1988-1991
- Folder 16: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1992
- Folder 17: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1994-1999
- Folder 18: Newsclippings and Reviews, 2000-2002
- Folder 19: Newsclippings and Reviews, undated
- Folder 20: Newsclippings and Reviews from Susan Blond, Inc., circa 1995
- Folder 21: Articles and Reviews from Twin/Tone Records, circa 1991
- Folder 23: Press Kits, 1988
- Folder 24: Radio Station Promo Kits, circa 1990
- Folder 25: Sire Records Promo Kits, 1992
- Folder 26: Graphic design elements, undated
- Folder 27: Newsletters, 1986-1995
- Folder 28: Fan correspondence, 1990-2007
- Folder 29: Lyrics, setlists, and notes, undated
- Folder 31: Rose's tour reports, 1995
- Notes about 1995 tours as written by Rose Marshack.
- Folder 32: Salaryman articles and reviews, 1997-1999
- Folder 33: 12 Inch Records graphic design elements and promotional materials, circa 1992-1993
- Folder 34: Poster Children bookmarks and ephemera, circa 1989
- Includes dog tag labeled "Rose, Poster Children, Bass," button with text "Poster Children violence with guitars," Junior Citizen pogs (2), Santa Fe notebook with doodles, phone numbers, and addresses labeled "Rose's," Light Into Dark: A Chicago Music Compilation program, bookmarks, and assorted graphic elements.
- Box 4
- Folder 1: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1993
- Folder 2: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1994
- Folder 3: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1995
- Folder 4: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1996
- Folder 5: Newsclippings and Reviews, 1997
- Folder 6: 12" Records Newsclippings and Reviews, 1991-2004
- Folder 7: Newsclippings and Reviews from Christian Long, KRNU/ Daily Nebraska, 2002
- Box 5
- Folder 1: Salaryman newsclippings and reviews, 2000-2007
- Folder 2: New York Times complete issue, Nov, 1, 1991
- Box 6
- Folder 1: Oversize Newsclippings and Reviews, 1989-1991
- Folder 2: Oversize Newsclippings and Reviews, 1993
- Folder 3: Oversize Newsclippings and Reviews, 1995
- Folder 4: Oversize Newsclippings and Reviews, 2005-2006
- Sub-Series 1.3: Posters and Flyers, 1989-2009
- Subseries 1.3 consists of posters and flyers used to promote individual concerts or releases. The bulk of materials relate to Poster Children from 1989 to 2009; also includes a few Salaryman items from 1997 to 1999. Posters and flyers are arranged by size and then chronologically. Boxes contain both Poster Children and Salaryman items.
- Oversize Portfolio Case 2: Tour posters, 1989-2009
- Volcano Suns, Poster Children, Giant Man, Beach Club, October 23, 1991; Split 7" Les Thugs/Salaryman [hand sketch, by Rose]; Lonely Trailer,Tritos, 22 June 9;Ã?Â Touring Machine [rectangular]; Poster Children Urbo w/ Sleeks, Sunday, April 23, Metropolis; Poster Children Droids Attack, October 17th 2009, Crystal Corner Madison, WI; Poster Children, If I Had a Hifi, Droids Attack, 30 October 2009, Bottom Lounge Chicago; Salaryman vera maandag, August 18; Poster Children on tour [black]; Poster Children, Thursday April 15, Echo Lounge; Jesus Lizard, Saturday Aug 29th, CBGB; C-Clamp Dianogah and P.C.I. Thurs. May 29; Poster Children Flower Plower 8 song e.p.; Rave booking and management's fourth annual SXSW party, March 15, Emo's Austin; Poster Children! Warning! expires 10.11.95 just like you; Poster Children, Appleseed Cast, Monday May 8th, El Torreon KCMO; Junior Citizen album cover proofs, Warner Bros. (copy 1); Poster Children, The Figgs, The Smoothies, Friday May 19, Metro, Chicago; With love, Sub Pop; Salaryman Karoshi new cd; Poster children (TM)! March 14, Underground, Koln; Poster Children Tool of the Man; Warning! Poster Children(TM)! Junior Citizen; Poster Children on tour [red]; Junior Citizen album cover proofs, Warner Bros. (copy 2); Mop Up Operations, Friday June 7th 1996, The Middle East, Cambridge; 3.95 Wien Szene, March 1995 [removed from Poster Children Warner Brothers European Tour, 1995]
- Oversize Portfolio Box 2
- Oversize Portfolio Case 1: Tour posters, artwork, proofs, 1989-1997
- Flower Plower; Poster Children [with flower, mockup]; Poster Children [round] (copy 2); RTFM. 12 songs + bonus computer track; Touring Machine [round] (copy 2); Poster Children If I Had a Hifi + White Wrench Conservatory, Friday Oct. 16th, Cactus Club; RTFM instructions; Figurehead presents SSCSS performance...downtown Orlando April 25; Poster Children If I Had a Hifi + White Wrench Conservatory, Friday Oct. 16th, Cactus Club; Touring Machine [round] (copy 1); Figurehead presents Lush Saturday, April 4, Beacham Theater, Orlando; Daisychain Reaction [proofs]; Control Graphics, Inc. proofs 1-23-91; Salaryman in Extrapool 12 Augustus 1997 Nijmegen; Lonely Trailer,Tritos, 22 June 9 (copy 2); Killdozer, Fri. April 21 Eagle's Club, Dekalb, IL;Poster Children [round] (copy 1); On Restless records from Reno Nevada, 7 Seconds, Mabels, Tuesday January 17; Spinart recording artists, Wed., Apr. 21, The Bayou; Poster Children are opening for Vehicle in Tow, Chins, Fri 12; Poster Children are opening for Shakes, Chins, Fri 29; Poster Children are opening for Shakes, Chins, Fri 29 [mockup]; Poster Children [with flower]; Poster Children [with flower, mockup]; Daisychain Reaction (copy 1); Daisychain Reaction (copy 2); Archers of Loaf, November 13, 1995, The Troubadour; Poster Children appearing at: [blank];Ã?Â Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion, Wednesday, November 2 at Emo's;Ã?Â Daisychain Reaction [orange on blue]; Fluid, Seam, Austin Fri May 28, Houston Sat. May 29; State Palace Theater, New Orleans, Feb 17;
- Folder 22: Flyers and Programs, 1989-2007
- Oversize Portfolio Case 3: Posters and correspondence, 1997-2002
- Typed letter to Rose, dated October 5, 1997 from Baton Rouge, LA. Volcano Suns, Beach Club, October 23, 1991; Poster Children 15th anniversary show, October 5, 2002, Phyllis's Musical Inn; Breeders, Showbox, Seattle, Friday July 12; Party immediately following the halfpipe event, Saturday, 28 January. Boyne Mountain, MI; Bill Graham presents The Breeders, July 11, 2002, The Fillmore, San Francisco; Breeders with Imperial Teen and Poster Children, Tuesday August 13th, La Zona Rosa (2 copies)
- Oversize Portfolio Case 4: Posters, proofs, artist's portfolio, 1995-2006
- Clampdown we don't need this fascist groove thang; Poster Children and Pinebender, Monday, August 31, The Terrace, Wisconsin Memorial Union; 15 years of Poster Children, 2002 Oct 5, Phyllis' Musical Inn, Chicago IL; Zero Stars: A DVD Tour Diary; Poster Children on the offensive; Ver, Downstage Salaryman, December 11; Salaryman + Milk Cult, Oct. 13 1997, Lizard & Snake, Chapel Hill (copy 1); Salaryman + Milk Cult, Oct. 13 1997, Lizard & Snake, Chapel Hill (copy 2); Junior Citizen album cover proofs, February 24, 1995; Jaw Box, Sat. Nov. 5th, Metropolis; Poster Children Junior Citizen, 1995 [album artwork]; Wolfie, Tall Dark Hill; Poster Children Cab Concerts, April 30, 1998, Holmes Student Center, DeKalb IL; Hum, Urbana, IL; Poster Children, The Greedy Loves, Fri Oct 8, Paradiso; Salaryman The Electric Forest album cover proofs, 2006; New World Record album cover proofs, 1999; Band group photographs; Spiral bound notebook of artwork by B. Wilson: This is the poster art by Wilson for the year of 1997-98; No more songs about sleep and fire; Poster Children International, Milk Cult (Scratch'd) won't play; Poster Children, Dianogan Centaur, June 8, 2002, Metro
- Sub-Series 1.4: T-shirts and Backstage Passes, c. 1991-2000
- Subseries 1.4 contains 23 silkscreen t-shirts (one of which is a child's) produced for sale ranging from circa 1991-2000, some of which can be identified with particular albums including Flower Plower and Junior Citizen. The backstage passes are from 1991-1995, including Rose's pass for Lollapalooza in 1995.
- Box 1
- Folder 30: Backstage passes, 1991-1995
- Includes 1991 CMJ Music Marathon pass for Rose and 1995 Lollapalooza pass for Rose.
- Box 7
- Item 1: 2014.2620193.01. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Adult Medium. Text of band's name inside mouth.
- Item 2: 2014.2620193.02. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Text: Band's name, "PCI." Poor condition.
- Item 3: 2014.2620193.03. Trashcan Records T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Trashcan Records logo on pocket. Back: Larger version of logo with colored text.
- Item 4: 2014.2620193.04. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Large. American flag logo. Text: "It's my flag too," text of band's name.
- Item 5: 2014.2620193.05. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Adult XL. Front: cartoon of band with text of band's name. Back: Green text at bottom. ca. Junior Citizen album
- Item 6: 2014.2620193.06. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Large. Front: Daisy Chain Reaction symbol. Back: Text "Daisy Chain Reaction" with three symbols. Washing instructions tag attached. Poor condition. c. 1991
- Item 7: 2014.2620193.07. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Daisy Chain Reaction symbol. Back: Text of "Daisy Chain Reaction" and three symbols. c. 1991
- Item 8: 2014.2620193.08. T-shirt. 50/50 Cotton and Polyester. Size: Adult XL. Design: Black and blue with question mark in box.
- Item 9: 2014.2620193.09. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Large. Front: Text of band under RTFM album logo. Back: RTFM. c. 1997.
- Item 10: 2014.2620193.10. Poster Children International T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Red logo with band's name text. Back: Green dollar sign logo.
- Item 11: 2014.2620193.11. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Text of band with Daisy Chain Reaction logo below. c. 1991.
- Item 12: 2014.2620193.12. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Child's Size Small (6-8). Color Junior Citizen logo. Poor condition. c. 1995.
- Item 13: 2014.2620193.13. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Text of band with cartoon faces of band members below. Website at bottom of image.
- Item 14: 2014.2620193.14. Salaryman T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Unknown. Black with yellow band logo with text of band name below.
- Item 15: 2014.2620193.15. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton/Polyester. Size: L. Text of band name above "Just Like You"/band logo. c. 1994.
- Item 16: 2014.2620193.16. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Adult XL. Front: orange on red band text with person and television logo. Back: orange on red satellite inside sun.
- Item 17: 2014.2620193.17. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Adult XL. Front: light green on green band text with person and television logo. Back: light green on green satellite inside sun.
- Item 18: 2014.2620193.18. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: 36 inches. Snakes in sun with "Poster Children" text in thought bubble. Poor condition.
- Item 19: 2014.2620193.19. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton/Polyester. Size: XL. Text of band name with "Just Like You"/band logo. Green stripes on shoulders.
- Item 20: 2014.2620193.20. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: Adult XL. Front: Green logo with band name text. Back: Green cog logo with "Tour Machine" text. Poor condition.
- Item 21: 2014.2620193.21. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Text of Flower Plower with flower image. Back: text of band name with flower image. c. 1991.
- Item 22: 2014.2620193.22. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: XL. Front: Text of Flower Plower with flower image. Back: text of band name with flower image. c. 1991.
- Item 23: 2014.2620193.23. Poster Children T-shirt. Cotton. Size: L. Text of band name with album DDD design. Poor condition. c. 2000.
[Series 1: Publicity, 1986-2009],
[Series 2: Audiovisual Recordings and Photographs, 1987-2006
[Series 3: Administrative Records, 1987-2007