University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Assembly Hall | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Assembly Hall


Historical Note:

The Assembly Hall was opened to the public in March 19631 and dedicated on May 3, 1963.2 President David D. Henry appointed Thomas P. Parkinson Director of Assembly Hall in Auxiliary Services and in the Physical Plant Department beginning August 1, 1961. The Assembly Hall is operated through the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs, who reports to the Chancellor of the Urbana-Champaign campus.3 No appropriated funds were used in its construction; revenue bonds were employed, with student fees and building income used to amortize them.4 The Assembly Hall is a multi-purpose building for recreational and cultural activities; basketball games, concerts, and ballets take place there. The building can accommodate sixteen to eighteen thousand persons.5 It houses the offices of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.6

1. Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette, March 1, 1963.

2. Dedication program, RS 37/5

3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Student/Staff Directory, 1990-91, p. 57.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, pp. 467-99; Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, February 21, 1962, pp.1304-05.

5.

6.




Page Generated in: 0.103 seconds (using 37 queries).
Using 5.76MB of memory. (Peak of 5.9MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign