James W. Phillips (1943-) | University of Illinois Archives
Name: James W. Phillips (1943-)
Historical Note: James W. Phillips (1943-) received his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the Catholic University of America in 1964, followed by his Sc.M. and Ph.D., each in Engineering, from Brown University in 1966 and 1969, respectively. He has been a faculty member at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign since 1969, when he became Assistant Professor in the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. From 1978 to 1979, he was a Visiting Associate Professor at the University of Maryland before returning to the University of Illinois, where he became a full professor of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics in 1981. Since 2006, he has been a professor in and Associate Head of the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering. He has been involved in mechanical testing for industrial firms since 1982. Professor Phillips' research has concerned not only mechanics but also biomechanics. He is also involved in he work done on and the maintenence of Talbot Laboratory's testing machine. His list of publications include articles on biomechanics, wire springs and ropes, and beams. He has won a number of teaching, research, and public service honors.
Note Author: Hannah Jellen