By Brinna Michael[Printer Friendly] | [ Email us about these records]
Title: Business Advisory Council Records, 1968-2009
Primary Creator: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.Â College of Business
Extent: 10.0 cubic feet
Date Acquired: 09/25/2017
Subjects: Business Advisory Council (College of Commerce and Business Administration), Commerce and Business Administration, College of
The Business Advisory Council Records include minutes, agendas, reports, rosters, correspondence, programs, biographical materials, and administrative materials relating to the Annual, Spring, and Fall Council meetings (1977-2002); committees and committee membership; Awards Banquet (1989-2009); members and nominees; Executive in Residence program (1969-2003); Conversations with Leaders Series (2003-2008); Business Advisory Council history (1968-2002); and daily correspondence (1976-1981). Significant correspondents include Joseph McGuire, Vernon Zimmerman, John Hogan, Howard Thomas, Avijit Ghosh, and Lawrence DeBrock.
The College of Commerce and Business Administration was established on June 9, 19141 and an acting dean was appointed on July 14, 1915.2 The first dean was appointed on August 15, 1919.3 The dean is appointed by the Board of Trustees biennially. His duties, as established by the Board of Trustees, include: preparing the budget, representing the college in all business with outside authorities, and coordinating the departments and the special offices of the college, such as the Executive Development Center, the Bureau of Economic and Business Research, and the Placement Office.4 In 2003, the name of the college was shortened to the College of Business.5
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, June 9, 1914, p. 763. (c.f. 28th Report, April 27, 1915, p. 244.)
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 28th Report, July 14, 1915, p. 767.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 30th Report, August 15, 1919, p. 507.
4. University of Illinois Statutes, May 17, 1972, p. 12-14. The Placement Office first appears in the budget in the Board of Trustees Transactions, 41st Report, August 5, 1941, p. 495.
5. Board of Trustees Agenda Items, February 13, 2003.
Business Advisory Council (College of Commerce and Business Administration)
Commerce and Business Administration, College of
Repository: University of Illinois Archives
Acquisition Source: College of Business, Advancement Office/Foundation