The creation of the Department of Dance occurred in 1968, but it had its beginnings 9 years earlier, in a graduate program for the Master Arts in Dance, in the College of Physical Education. This program was authorized in 1959 by the Board of Trustees.1 In 1961 they authorized a new undergrad curriculum in dance, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Dance. Like the graduate program, this curriculum was part of a Physical Education department, the Phys.Ed. Department for women.2 In 1968 the Board of Trustees decided to transfer the program to the College of Fine and Applied Arts, where it became its own department, the Department of Dance.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, p. 439.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, November 28, 1961, p. 1186.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, p. 8.