In 1960, The Board of Trustees established the Office of Foreign Students.1 This organization was responsible to the Dean of Students for all activities pertaining to foreign students. By 1961, the organization was renamed the Office of Foreign Students Affairs.2 In 1971, it became the Office of Foreign Student- Staff Affairs,3 and in 1976, its name was again changed to the Office of International Student- Staff Affairs.4 In 1978, the Office began to report directly to the Vice Chancellor for Campus Affairs.5 This arrangement was adjusted in 1980 to allow the Office to report to the Dean of Students as originally constituted.6 In 1980, the Office ceased serving members of the staff and became an exclusively student organization named the Office of International Student Affairs.7 On April 22, 1986, the Office moved from its location at 331 Student Services Building to its present site at 510 East Daniel. This new building allowed a greater variety in the programs and services offered to international students.8 The Office provides orientation, counseling, and other services to ensure the successful adjustment of students of many nationalities to life at the University of Illinois.9 The Office is also able to assist in interactions between the Department of Justice, the Immigration and Naturalization Service and international students by providing immigration forms, work permits, and counseling on immigration issues.10
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 14, 1980, p.1422.
Description: International Student Publications, including a national directory (1915) facts about students enrolled (1943-1945), enrollment statistics (2000), issuances to students (1959- ), Information for Students from Other Countries (1957-1964), Guidebooks and Handbooks (1950-1970) and Official Programs for New Foreign Students (1960-1965).