In March, 1874, a position was recommended to the Board of Trustees calling for a "woman of high character and culture" to oversee the growing number of female students entering the University.1 On September 1, 1897, the Board of Trustees established a Dean of Women's Department.
The Dean's duties included the general oversight of all women students, aiding them in their coursework and social life.2 In 1943, the Dean of Women became part of the Office of the Dean of Students.3 Major responsibilities centered on student housing, part-time employment, financial aid, extracurricular activities and the interpretation of campus regulations.4
The Dean of Women added the title of the Dean of Student Personnel when the Dean of Students Office reorganized in 1967.5 In addition to the duties of student counseling and aid, the staff is concerned with personnel and guidance work, freshmen and married students, and culturally handicapped, and residence hall counseling.6 As of April 23, 1966, the responsibilities of this Office were distributed within the Office of the Dean of Students and Associate vice-chancellor, and the Office of the Associate vice-chancellor and Director of Auxiliary Services.7 Office is now concerned with student discipline.
1. Catalogue and Circular of the Illinois Industrial University, 8th Annual Meeting of the Board of Trustees, March 10, 1874, p. 92.
2. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 19th Report, March 9, 1897, p. 64.
3. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 42nd Report, August 31, 1943, p. 495.
4. University of Illinois Annual Register, 1942-43, p. 112.
5. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 54th Report, September 20, 1967, p. 711.
6. Staff Directories, 1967-1978.
7. Organizational Chart: Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
Description: Records of the Dean of Student Personnel and Dean of Women concerning programs for entering students including Committee on Freshman Week Reports (1931-1932, 1935), Freshman Advisory Council (1939-1941), Freshman Week Questionnaires (1947-1949), Freshman Advisor Program for women, replaced by combining with men in Illini Guide Program in 1960 (1946-1947, 1949-1950, 1951-1960), Illini Guide Program (1960-1970), New Student Week Committee (originally Freshman Week Committee) (1943-1971), Student-Faculty Forum and TV Orientation (1960-1966).