Created during the fall of 1987, Minority Student Affairs evolved from the Educational Opportunities Program (EOP), which had been established in 1968.1 A proposal for its creation was introduced in 1985.2 Reporting to the Vice- Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Minority Student Affairs Office became a separate entity during the 1988-89 academic year.3 It has provided, for minority undergraduates, personal and academic support including financial aid, tutoring, course specific instruction, and career counseling.4
In 1989, the Minority Student Affairs Office assumed responsibility for campus-wide coordination of minority services and resources including Academic Support Services, Afro-American Cultural Program, and La Casa Cultura Latina.5
The Minority Student Affairs Office provides leadership and coordination for additional support services and programs, including the President's Award Program, the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Educational Opportunities Affiliates Program (EOAP), McNair Post-Graduate Achievement Program, Black Greek Letter Organizations, Student Support Services, and Project Upward Bound.6 The Minority Student Affairs Office has continued to publish a departmental newsletter on its programs and services.7
In 1972, the Graduate College established a Minority Student Affairs Office to provide counseling and referral services for minority graduate students to increase minority graduate enrollment, and to coordinate state and national fellowship programs to encourage enrollment of minority applicants.8
1. Minority Student Affairs Office. Interview with Associate Director, January 19, 1993.
2. The Daily Illini, Feb. 9, 1985, p. 3.
3. Student-Staff Directory, 1988-89, p. 51.
4. Campus Colors, 1990, p. 26.
5. Student-Staff Directory, 1989-90, p. 57.
6. Resource Guide for African American, Latino, Native American and Asian American Students, 1992, p. 4; Student-Staff Directory, 1992-93, p. 77.
7. The Spectrum, Office of Minority Student Affairs Newsletter, April 1990; The Spectrum, Office of Minority Student Affairs Newsletter, Winter 1991.