Following a recommendation from the State of Illinois that the University develop a broad program of teaching, research and extension in government and public affairs, the Institute of Government and Public Affairs was established August 5, 1947.1 It was set up as an autonomous body under a Director responsible to the President of the University.2 The Institute conducts policy-oriented research and public service focusing on important areas of state and local government structure and process and emphasizing problems of urbanization. Though the Institute offers no courses, its faculty members teach in academic departments, guide research, and direct intern programs.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, pp. 493-94.
Description: Illinois Assembly Series, including published final reports and background papers for annual meetings held at Allerton House, Monticello, Illinois, concerning state government (1958), political parties (1959), local government (1961), state constitution (1962), private groups (1965) and cities (1965).