Following a recommendation from the State of Illinois that the University develop a broad program of teaching, research and extension in government and public affairs, the Institute of Government and Public Affairs was established August 5, 1947.1 It was set up as an autonomous body under a Director responsible to the President of the University.2 The Institute conducts policy-oriented research and public service focusing on important areas of state and local government structure and process and emphasizing problems of urbanization. Though the Institute offers no courses, its faculty members teach in academic departments, guide research, and direct intern programs.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, pp. 493-94.
Description: Commission Papers, includes reports prepared by the institute staff for the Illinois Legislative Commission on Municipal Revenue (1953, 1958), State Personnel Administration Commission (1955), Illinois Metropolitan Area Local Government Services Commission (1961), Illinois Budgetary Commission (1964), Illinois Cities and Villages Municipal Problems Commission (1964) and Constitution Study Commission of the State of Illinois (1968). The series includes mimeographed copies of public hearings of the Municipal Revenue Commission (1952).