Subject File, 1909-77
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Subject file of the Engineering Experiment Station relating to research with public and private cooperating agencies, including associate dean's files relating to curricula, student affairs, organizations and building dedications; proposals for research projects; correspondence concerning facilities, test results, personnel and financial matters; contracts; progress reports and patent records. Cooperating agencies include the Department of Defense, government agencies, industrial corporations and professional associations. The series includes a file on cooperative research projects conducted by the Aeronautical, Ceramic, Chemical, Civic, Electrical, Mechanical, Mining and Metallurgical and Railway Engineering and Theoretical and Applied Mechanics departments and the State Geological and Water Surveys. Reports of cooperative research are published in the Experiment Station publication series (RS 11/2/0/1-4) or departmental research reports series.

The series includes files on work with the American Society for Engineering Education (1951-65) and its Engineering College Research Council (1951-55) and Project Operating Unit (1963-65); Associated Midwest Universities (1964-67); labor relations with laboratory mechanics and assistants (1949-59); long range planning (1962-77), nuclear research (1961-62) and space utilization (1960-68).

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at]
Record Series Number: 11/2/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Experiment Station
Volume: 14.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/6/68; 10/21/86
More information is available at
Arrangement: by type of file and alphabetically thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Experiment Station :

Based upon the provision of the Agricultural College Act of 1862, Congress endorsed establishment of experiment stations by the Hatch Act in 1887. The University of Illinois organized a committee in 1887 for creating an experiment station to be named the Agricultural Experiment Station of the University of Illinois. The Station was to engage in research directly bearing upon the agriculture industry without involvement in the teaching of agricultural practices. Although the Board of Trustees had established the Station and appointed a four member Board of Direction to operate it in December, 1887, no further action could be taken due to an oversight of the Hatch Act until Congress appropriated financial resources in Februrary, 1888. The Board of Direction (now enlarged to nine members) assembled for the first time on March 28, 1888 with operation beginning in April. The Station was reorganized in June, 1896, by changing the name of the Board to the Experimental Station Advisory Board and establishing as Director the Dean of the College of Agriculture. Replacing the Dean as Director in February, 1965, the associate Director became the Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station and Associate Dean of the College.

An experiment station was proposed for southern Illinois in August, 1933, became effective in 1934 as the Dixon Springs Experiment Station, entered the development phase in 1935, and was formally dedicated by the Dean of the College of Agriculture on October 8, 1938. Dixon Springs Experiment Station was reorganized on June 17, 1964 as the Dixon Springs Agricultural Center of the University of Illinois.

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 14th Report, Agricultural Experiment Station Report, p. 194.

2. Ibid., 14th Report, March 3, 1887, p. 34.

3. Ibid., 14th Report, December 13, 1887, p. 88-89.

4. Ibid., p. 88.

5. Ibid., 18th Report, September 4, 1895, p. 159.

6. Ibid., 14th Report, December 13, 1887, p. 88-89.

7. Agricultural Experiment Station Report, op. cit., p. 196-197.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 14th Report, March 21, 1888, p. 100.

9. Agricultural Experiment Station Report, op. cit., p. 196-197.

10. Ibid., p. 200.

11. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, June 9, 1896, p. 249-250.

12. Ibid., 53rd Report, February 17, 1965, p. 393.

13. Redeeming a Lost Heritage: The Development of the Dixon Springs Agricultural Center. By William G. Kammlade, P.W. Rexroat, and H.A. Cate. (Urbana: College of Agriculture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1976), p. 30.

14. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, July 11, 1934, p. 4.

15. William G. Kammlade, op. cit., p. 31.

16. William G. Kammlade, op. cit., p. 33.

17.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, June 17, 1964, p. 1252.

Subject Index
American Society for Engineering Education
Associated Midwest Universities
Ceramic Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Engineering College Research Council
Labor Relations
Mechanical Engineering
Space Utilization
Genres/Forms of Material
Languages of Materials
English [eng]