Agricultural instruction was provided for in the Land Grant Act of Congress in 1862 and it was one of the chief aims of the university at its beginning.1 In 1867, the Board of Trustees established the Agricultural Department, made up of the School of General Agriculture and the School of Horticulture, Fruit-growing, and Landscape Gardening.2 It was formally recognized as a College and the dean's office was established in 1877.3 The dean is appointed biennially by the Board of Trustees and his duties include: preparing the budget; representing and reporting on the college to outside authorities; and coordinating the activities of the departments and special offices.4 The dean is also responsible for the operations of the Office of Publications and the Office of Agricultural Communications, both established in 1966,5 and the Office of International Agricultural Programs, which was established in 1966 to coordinate college-wide programs such as the International Soybean Program.6 In 1965, the title of the office changed from Dean of the College, Director of the Experiment Station, and Director of the Cooperative Extension Service to Dean of the College of Agriculture.7
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, Laws Concerning the Industrial University, Laws of Congress, p. 1-3; 1st Report, May 7, 1867, p. 47.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, May 8, 1867, p. 50.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 9th Report, June 7, 1877, p. 45.
4. University of Illinois Statutes, May 17, 1972, p. 12-14
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, October 13, 1966, p. 169.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, September 21, 1966, p. 84.
7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 53rd Report, February 17, 1965, p. 393.
Description: Duplicated briefs of theses and graduates class papers prepared under ICA-AID sponsorship by students at Indian Universities and Indian teachers studying at the University of Illinois, concerning social and technical change, agricultural leader training and food production programs in India.