The establishment of a dairy at the University of Illinois was first recommended in 1876 in the Head Farmer's report.1 In 1902, Dairy Husbandry was recognized as an independent department under the College of Agriculture.2 The Department of Dairy Husbandry became the Department of Dairy Production in 1947.3 In 1949, the name of the Department was changed again and became the Dairy Science Department.4 In 1985, the department merged into the Animal Science Department.
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, September 13, 1876, p. 202.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, October 25, 1902, p. 24.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, October 30, 1947, p. 885.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, April 21, 1949, p. 332.
Description: Duplicated "Illinois Dairy Digest," published (1956-70) in four series on breeding, feeding, management and "general" and consisting of research reports prepared by dairy specialists through work in the Experiment Station and distributed to dairy farmers.