Architecture Department Subject File, 1910-2004
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Departmental subject file containing announcements, correspondence, lists, movie reels, notices, photographs, publications, reports, sketches and workpapers filed by department heads/directors: Frederick M. Mann (1910-13), Loring H. Provine (1913-48), Turpin C. Bannister (1949-54), Alan K. Laing (1954-61), Granville S. Keith (1961-66), Jack H. Swing (1966-73), Richard L. Tavis, (1973, 80-81), G. Day Ding (1973-80), R. Alan Forrester (1981-1995, 96-98), Hub White (1995-96), Michael Andrejasich (1999-2004) and David M Chasco (2004-). Contents relate to admissions, annual reports (1910-71, 96-2004), alumni, appointments, assistantships, awards, budgets, civil service, committees, competitions, convocations, curriculum, discipline, enrollment, exchange programs, exhibits, faculty meetings, fellowships (Edward E Ryerson, et. al.), festivals, field trips, fire inspection, former students, instructional materials, lecturers, library resources, open houses, organizations, other departments, prizes and medals, proposals, publications, research, scholarships, speaking engagements, staff communication, training programs, and universities. Also included are items related to: ACSA, AIA, Annual Architecture Awards, Architectural Engineering courses, Architecture Department history, Beaux-Institute of Design, Bituminous Coal Researcher, ESLARP, FAA College, and Temple Hoyne Buell Hall. Significant correspondences include: Robert Allerton, Harry W. Chase Emil Lorch, Milo .S. Ketchum, James M. White and Phineas L. Windsor.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at]
Record Series Number: 12/2/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Architecture
Volume: 76.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 01/29/1965. June 2007
More information is available at
Arrangement: Alphabetically by subject and chronologically thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Architecture :

The 1870-71 University Catalogue and Circular lists the first architecture course and contains an announcement of the School of Architecture which was appended to the College of Engineering.1 In 1873 the Board of Trustees approved the School of Architecture.2 In 1893, the trustees approved curricula for architecture and architectural engineering.3

In 1931 the College of Fine and Applied Arts was formed. It included the Department of Architecture.4 In 1973, the Department of Architecture discontinued offering two graduate degrees; instead, it provided a new Master of Architecture degree which allowed options for subject specialization.5 In 1981 the Department of Architecture was redesignated the School of Architecture.6 The school offers a Bachelors, and a 2 and 3 1/2 year Masters in such specialties as architectural design, history, structures, and technology.7

1. Baker, Ira O. and King, Everett E. A History of the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois 1868-1945, Part 1, (Urbana), p. 290; Fourth Annual Catalogue and Circular of the Illinois Industrial University, 1870-71, p. 32.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 6th Report, 1873, p. 42; Ibid., 17th Report, 1894, p. 330.

3. Ibid., 17th Report, July 6, 1893, pp. 136-139.

4. Ibid., 36th Report, 1931, p. 186-87.

5. Graduate College Catalog, 1972/74, p. 44.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325.

7. Ibid., 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325; Graduate Programs, 1986-88, p. 78-79.

Subject Index
Architectural Engineering
Beaux Arts
History of Architecture
Genres/Forms of Material
Languages of Materials
English [eng]