On October 21, 1970, the Board of Trustees approved the Chancellor's recommendation that an Office of Computing Services be established on the Urbana-Champaign campus.1 The office began operations in May, 1971.2 Computer services and development, which began with secret Department of Defense contracts in 1951,3 were administratively divided for the first time into a professional campus-wide operational service, and the research and teaching function already performed by the Department of Computer Science.4 The CSO has published Off-Line since September, 1972, to provide "a means of communication between the staff and users of the University of Illinois Computing Services Office."5
1. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 56th Report, October 21, 1970, p. 103.
2. Illinet Output, v. 3, no. 5, May, 1971, p. 3.
3. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 47th Report, September 23, 1953, p. 1087-1088.
4. Ibid., 56th Report, October 21, 1970, p. 103-104.
5. Off-Line, v. 1, no. 1, September, 1972, p. 1-2.
Description: ILLIAC IV Reports concerning the ILLIAC IV Program, including a cost proposal (1971), monthly status reports (1970); program schedules (1969-1970); reports, specifications and proposals for the program (1969-1971); and technical reports (1967-1971). The series includes journal articles and reports on similar programs, standards for computer programming and information about the Center for Advanced Computation.