The Health Service was established in 1916 to apply the practices of preventive medicine and sanitation to campus life and to promote the general health and physical welfare of students, faculty and staff.1 Since that time, free medical service has been given to members of the university community in a clinic building, and referrals to a physician or a hospital are suggested when deemed necessary.2 In 1919 the Trustees designated the Health Service the Department of Hygiene and Public Health.3 In 1941, the University Health Officer's duties were specifically defined as responsibility for preventive medicine and sanitation, investigation of possible campus health and safety hazards and remedial action on these hazards. In 1937, the Health Service was made part of the School of Physical Education, but in 1943, it was placed under the Dean of Students. The title was changed to Director of Health Services on October 21, 1952. In 1953, the Health Service was moved from Davenport House to McKinley Hospital to consolidate facilities for increased efficiency and economy.4 In 1954, McKinley Hospital, along with the University Health Service were placed under the Director of Health Services.5 In 1970, upon the recommendation of the Director of Health Services, and the Chancellor of the Champaign-Urbana campus, the names of the Health Center and McKinley Hospital were consolidated into "McKinley Health Center," although they both continue to operate as single units under the jurisdiction of McKinley Health Center.6
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, November 16, 1916, p. 172.
2. Ibid., p. 173.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 30th Report, August 15, 1919, p. 511.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 25, 1953, p. 748.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 48th Report, September 29, 1954, p. 68.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, July 22, 1970, p. 16.
Description: Photographs of buildings that have housed the Health Service or provided hospital space; staff (1986, 1980) including administrators, doctors, professional support staff and civil service employees; and facilities for health care and safety services.