The Office of University Counsel was established by the Board of Trustees of the University on June 26, 1931.1 Uncertainty concerning the relation of that officer to the Illinois Attorney General's office led to attempts at clarification of his duties and responsibilities,2 but in 1943, the office was discontinued by the Board of Trustees3 in order to reorganize and redefine his status as legal representative of the University.
The University Counsel serves as legal advisor to the Board of Trustees, to the President, and to other administrative officers, and is to represent them in all legal proceedings, unless otherwise provided.4 In 1968, the change of the University of Illinois to the chancellorship system led to reorganization of the Office of Legal Counsel.5 The title of Legal Counsel, held since 1958,6 was changed to that of University Counsel. The University Counsel was empowered by the Board of Trustees to designate Legal Counsels, with the status of Associate University Counsels, to serve as legal advisors to the chancellors and other administrative officers of the campuses of the University.7 The University Counsel was to retain the duties and responsibilities mentioned above.
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 26, 1931, p. 367. cf Board of Trustees 26 June 1896 (p. 264) to Board action calling for resolution to INT counsel; cf 15 September 1896 (p. 37); 8 December 1896 (p. 56); 9 March 1897 (p. 76).
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 41st Report, May 16, 1942, p. 891-904.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 42nd Report, June 19, 1943, p. 407.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, p. 11, citing the University of Illinois Statutes, 1958, section 46, p. 36.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, p. 11.
Description: Numerical subject file containing legal case files and agreements, hearing proceedings, police and witness reports, proposals, printed material, protographs, and correspondence concerning the Board of Higher Education (1966-76); the Illinois Building Authority (1964-66); land acquisition and construction of Chicago Circle campus (1968-73), addition to Illini Union (1965-64), Assembly Hall (1957-66), Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Protection Agency (1971-73); campus disorders (1970-71); the W.E.B. DuBois Club (1966-68); Illinois Commission on Higher Education (1959-62). Correspondents include Vice-President Eldon L. Johnson (1966-72) and Legal Counsel James J. Costello (1961-68).
Access Restriction: Access only with permission of the University Archivist.