The first students to do graduate work enrolled in 1877, leading to the awarding of the first master's degree in 1878.1 However, a graduate program was not set up until 1891.2 The Graduate School was formally organized in 1907, after appropriation of funds by the Illinois General Assembly.3 Its name was changed to the Graduate College in 1947, in anticipation of its new significance in the University organization.4 In 1968, the Board of Trustees provided for separate Graduate Colleges on each of three University campuses.5 The Graduate College has the responsibility of developing and safeguarding standards of graduate work and promoting and assisting research by faculty members.6 It provides assistance and supervision to other degree-granting units on the campus.7
In 1974, the Board of Trustees added the title of Vice Chancellor for Research to Dean of the Graduate College to more accurately describe the responsibilities vested in the college.8
--7/1 Dean's Office
--7/2 Executive Committee
1. Dietz, Frederick C., History of the Graduate College, (carbon typescript, 1957), p. 3.
2. Ibid., p. 5.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, June 10, 1907, p. 133.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, October 30, 1947, p. 885.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, January 17, 1968, p. 884-885.
6. University Statutes, 1972, p. 19-20.
7. Graduate College Catalog, 1976-78, p. 9.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, June 19, 1974, p. 581.
Description: Files of the editor of the Journal of English and Germanic Philology, a quarterly journal devoted to the English, German and Scandinavian languages and literatures, including correspondence concerning literary criticism and annual bibliographies; submission, acceptance and rejection of articles; editorial staff work; budgets and indexes; manuscript copies of reviews and articles and editor's "diaries" or journal accounts of letters and manuscripts sent and received (1946-57).