The Board of Trustees submitted an application to the Illinois Board of Vocational Education on February 16, 1918 for approval of plans to maintain teacher-training courses in agriculture in accordance with the Federal Smith-Hughes Act.1 The University Register initially listed this curriculum under the College of Agriculture in 19182 and under both the College of Agriculture and the newly-organized College of Education in 1919.3 With the advice of the Federal Vocational Board a revision of the curriculum took place in 1941 which rearranged the existing courses, added one new course, and mitigated the unsatisfactory flexibility of the old General Agriculture curriculum.4 In 1945 the Trustees approved another revision which included a new degree of Master of Science in Vocational Agriculture5 and empowered a Vocational Agricultural Committee appointed by the University Council on Teacher Education to adminster and supervise the program.6 In 1951 the Trustees approved new names for the degrees in Vocational Agriculture: Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Master of Science in Agricultural Education.7 In 1960 the Trustees approved minors in general science and biology for students of Vocational Agriculture.8 In order to meet a change in the Illinois State Board of Vocational Education requirements, another revision of the curriculum took place in 1962.9
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, February 16, 1918, pp. 647-48.
2. Annual Register 1918-1919, pp. 153, 164.
3. Annual Register 1919-1920, pp. 66, 168; Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, June 1, 1918, p. 758.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 41st Report, April 17, 1941, pp. 240-41.
5. Ibid., 43rd Report, July 3, 1945, pp. 539-40.
6. Ibid., June 30, 1945, pp. 512-13.
7. Ibid., 46th Report, October 23, 1951, p. 1255.
8. Ibid., 50th Report, May 17, 1960, p. 1279.
9. Ibid., 51st Report, January 11, 1962, pp. 1262-63.