A Bureau of Educational Research was established on June 1, 1918, in the School of Education for the purpose of investigating the problems of teaching and school administration, collecting information concerning the best educational practices of this and other countries, and placing the results obtained before the schools of this state.1 During the 1920's and early 1930's the Bureau grew to include a staff of eight, but the economic necessities of the Depression reduced the staff to two.2 Following World War II, the Bureau expanded again and took on new duties. In 1947, after becoming the coordinating office for the Field Service Program, the Bureau was reorganized as the Bureau of Research and Service.3 This reorganization meant more community-oriented programs such as in-service training for teachers, direction of school surveys, and publication of helpful material for school personnel.4 In 1952, the Field Service Program was severed from the Bureau, and once again the Bureau became known as the Bureau of Educational Research.5
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, June 1, 1918, p. 759.
2. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 7 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 486; personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.
4. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 10 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.
5. Personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of the Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.
Description: Annual reports of the Office of School-University Research, describing completed and in-progress research activities of the College of Education, the Children's Research Center and other university offices cooperating with school districts.