In 1939, the Board of Trustees established a Division of Student Housing.1 The director had general supervision of all student housing, advised fraternities and sororities on building plans, cooperated with Physical Plant Department "in its supervision of off-campus personal conduct of students," and acted as agent of the Student Officers Committee and secretary of the Student Discipline Committee.2 The Housing Division operates and maintains all University-owned residence halls and housing facilities. It is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for Campus Affairs for the inspection of certified student living quarters, for listing available off-campus housing, and for promoting safety, health, and good living conditions.
--Food Services Department
--Central Food Stores
--Housing Information and Off-Campus Housing
--Residential Services Office (Maintenance and Custodial)3
--Food and Residential Services (1974)
--Undergraduate Residence Halls (1971)
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 40th Report, July 21, 1939, p. 505-06.
2. Ibid., Sept. 30, 1939, pp. 580-82.
3. Statement by Lawrence J. Gaffney, Associate Director for Administrative Affairs, Housing, February, 1974.
Description: Scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings about the men's housing situation (1938), residence halls director and system (1941), taxation of residence halls (1942-44), Navy Diesel, ASTP and V-12 military training programs (1942-45), conversion of facilities for use by military and veterans, portable and prefabricated housing for veterans (1945-47), emergency housing for veterans, housing policy and financing. The series includes photocopies of residence halls and fraternities (1941-42) and holiday dinners (1944) and dance programs (1945-47).