Following a recommendation from the State of Illinois that the University develop a broad program of teaching, research and extension in government and public affairs, the Institute of Government and Public Affairs was established August 5, 1947.1 It was set up as an autonomous body under a Director responsible to the President of the University.2 The Institute conducts policy-oriented research and public service focusing on important areas of state and local government structure and process and emphasizing problems of urbanization. Though the Institute offers no courses, its faculty members teach in academic departments, guide research, and direct intern programs.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, pp. 493-94.
Description: Subject file containing correspondence and reports relating to legislation (1949); lectures (1950-53); use of municipal police for civil defense (1951); police and sheriff training courses (1950-53); commission for state government (1949-53); U.S. Army War College (1950-52); Illinois City Managers Plan (1951-54); police and fire integration in Illinois (1955-56); Adult education (1951-54); planning and zoning (1955, 1960-61); city annexation (1951); Illinois County Financial Systems (1958); University of Illinois Chicago Undergraduate Division Programs and Location Study (1958-60); questionnaires on party composition of county board of supervisors (1959-61); Ford Foundation research on Urban Affairs (1959-60). This series contains nine 16mm motion picture films on faculty members and state government, and correspondence files for faculty members and research assistants (1951-78), including Thomas Anton, Glen Fisher, Philip Meranto, Robert Schoeplein and Gilbert Steiner, Director of the Institute (1958-66).