On June 11, 1901, the office of the Dean of Undergraduates and Assistant to the President responsible for the supervision and welfare of male undergraduates was established by the Board of Trustees.1 Dean of Men became the official title in 1910.2 In addition to helping new students adjust to campus life, the Dean and his staff were available to guide and assist students with personal, social and academic problems.3
In September, 1943, the Dean of Men's office became part of the Office of the Dean of Students.4 Housing, financial aid, fraternities and sororities and campus regulations were the primary concerns of the staff.5 With reorganization of the Dean of Students in 1967, a new title and added duties were given to the Dean of Men. The Dean of Student Programs and Services was responsible for programs and policies dealing with student organizations and activities, residence halls, the Housing Division, the Union and the Security Office.6
In 1973, the Dean of Students became Vice-Chancellor for Campus Affairs and with responsibilities including Career Development and Placement, and Foreign Student-Staff Affairs.7 In 1979, the office of the Dean of Students assumed responsibility for Women's Resources, Emergency Services, Educational Opportunities Program (EOP), Veterans' Affairs, Afro-American Cultural Programs and the Latino Cultural House.8 In 1980, further responsibilities included Illini Guides, and Student Leadership-Student Government Association.9 Additional responsibilities assumed in 1982 included the Upward Bound Program, Mothers' Association, Tutoring and La Casa Cultural Latina, formerly Latino Cultural House.10 As of April 23, 1986, the Dean of Students was an Associate vice-chancellor in the office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.11
1. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 21st Report, June 11, 1901, p. 79.
2. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 25th Report, December 28, 1910, p. 53.
3. Annual Register, 1942-43, p. 112.
4. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 42nd Report, August 31, 1943, p. 495.
5. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1968-1969, p. 83.
6. Transactions of the Board of Trustees, 54th Report, September 20, 1967, p. 711.
7. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Student-Staff Directory: 1973-1974, p. 14.
8. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Student-Staff Directory: 1979-80, pp. 17-18.
9. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Student-Staff Directory: 1980-1981, p. 19.
10. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Student-Staff Directory: 1982-83, p. 23.
11. Organizational Chart: Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
Description: The Conference on Conduct Governance File includes minutes of meetings drafts, reports and correspondence related to the revision of the Student Regulations Handbook and campus policy. It includes extensive rewriting of Handbook chapters dealing with university organizations, use of university facilities, housing, and regulations applying to all students, concerning withdrawal from the university, student records policy and the privacy act, discrimination, discipline, smoking, alcoholic beverages and drugs policy, financial aid revocation, students in debt to the university, pets on campus, and vehicle and bicycle regulations.