In May 1867, the Committee in Courses of Study and Faculty proposed a Department of Chemistry and Natural Sciences.1 In 1873 the College of Natural Science included the School of Chemistry.2 The School of Chemistry was part of the College of Science in 1891.3 In 1894 courses in Chemical Engineering were arranged under a separate department called the Department of Applied Chemistry.4 On August 16, 1903, the Department of Applied Chemistry was discontinued and one Department of Chemistry was reestablished.5 In 1912 it became part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.6 In 1953 the department changed its name to Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering with divisions of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. The Chemistry Division included Analytic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.7 In 1970 this department was reorganized within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences into the School of Chemical Sciences with the departments of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry.8
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, May 8, 1867, p. 50.
2. Ibid., 6th Report, March 11, 1873, p. 70.
3. Catalogs and Registers, 1891-92, p. 97.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 17th Report, August 1, 1894, p. 268.
5. Ibid., 22nd Report, August 16, 1903, p. 329.
6. Ibid., 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 71.
7. Centennial 1967, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Urbana, p. 31.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, April 15, 1970, p. 886.
Description: The Study of Chemistry at the University of Illinois (1907) issued by the Chemistry Department to acquaint potential students with the equipment and advantages available at "the State University," including a list of Chemistry faculty with their academic histories and memberships in scientific organizations; facilities for study and research ; list of State Water Survey staff; list of faculty publications; societies and clubs and number of graduates employed in occupations. This series also includes "Chemistry at Illinois" and "Inorganic Chemistry at Illinois" (ca. 1985) containing research profiles and photographs of faculty members, outlines of research facilities, and general characteristics of the University of Illinois.