Rare Earth Research Journals, 1917, 1921-42, 1944
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Rare earth research journals describing work done with the rare earths by Joesph A. Harris (graduate assistant, 1922), J. Harvey Kleinheksel (graduate assistant, 1924-26), Harry C. Kremers (assistant professor, 1927-29), H. W. Gould, John Wierda (graduate assistant, 1922-24), Frank H. Driggs (research assistant, 1922-24), Ralph H. Manley (graduate assistant, 1926-28), George R. Sherwood (graduate assistant, 1926-28), Houston C. Joyner (graduate assistant, 1926-28), A. T. Fellows, E. A. Provine, Laurence L. Quill (Instructor, 1928-30), Leonard R. Scribner (graduate assistant, 1934-36), D. W. Bearce, Maurice F. Loucks (graduate assistant, 1928-30), Carl E. Schilz (graduate assistant, 1928-30).  Volume 1 (1921-28) contains reports of research on fractionation of double magnesium nitrates and bromates and the extinction of rare earths from double sodium sulfates.  Volume 2 (1926-39) concerns the fractionation of magnesium and double magnesium nitrates and bromites.  Volume 3 (1932-42) covers work on the preparation of rare earth bromites and anhydrous rare earth sulfates; removal of cerium from magnesium nitrates; conversion of ceric phosophate; a summary of work done on illinium to June 1933; a description of the rare earth fractionation progress, 1930-37 and a report on the status of the rare earth collection, 1941-42.

The series includes abstracts of Illinois dissertations in the "Observations of the Rare Earths" series (1917, 1921, 1934-37, 1940, 1944).

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/5/10
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. School of Chemical Sciences
Volume: 0.3 cubic feet
Acquired: 7/16/1969
Arrangement: by volume and chronologically thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. School of Chemical Sciences :

In May 1867, the Committee in Courses of Study and Faculty proposed a Department of Chemistry and Natural Sciences.1 In 1873 the College of Natural Science included the School of Chemistry.2 The School of Chemistry was part of the College of Science in 1891.3 In 1894 courses in Chemical Engineering were arranged under a separate department called the Department of Applied Chemistry.4 On August 16, 1903, the Department of Applied Chemistry was discontinued and one Department of Chemistry was reestablished.5 In 1912 it became part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.6 In 1953 the department changed its name to Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering with divisions of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. The Chemistry Division included Analytic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.7 In 1970 this department was reorganized within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences into the School of Chemical Sciences with the departments of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry.8

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, May 8, 1867, p. 50.

2. Ibid., 6th Report, March 11, 1873, p. 70.

3. Catalogs and Registers, 1891-92, p. 97.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 17th Report, August 1, 1894, p. 268.

5. Ibid., 22nd Report, August 16, 1903, p. 329.

6. Ibid., 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 71.

7. Centennial 1967, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Urbana, p. 31.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, April 15, 1970, p. 886.

Subject Index
Rare Earths
Genres/Forms of Material
Languages of Materials
English [eng]