The French Department offers B.A.'s in French and in the Teaching of French, M.A.'s in French and in the Teaching of French, and a Ph.D. in French.1 The Department of French Language and literature was established in 1867 and in 1890 a Professorship of French was created.2 Courses in French have been taught under the College of Literature and Science, School of Modern Languages (1872-1890)3; College of Literature and Science, English and Science Course (1890-91)4; College of Literature, School of English and Modern Languages (1891-92)5; College of Literature, Department of Romance Languages and Literature (1893-94)6; College of Literature and Arts, Department of Romance Languages and Literature (1894-98)7 College of Literature and Arts, Department of Romanic Languages and Literatures (1898-1907).8 In 1913 the Department became a part of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures in the newly created College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.9 In 1939 the Department of Romance Languages and Literature reorganized into the Department of French and the Department of Spanish and Italian, each having separate heads, staffs, and budgets.10
1. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1973-75, p. 290; Graduate Study Catalog, 1971-72, p. 216.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, June 13, 1868, p. 54; 16th Report, September 9, 1890, p. 32.
3. Catalogs and Registers, 1872, p. 25.
4. Ibid., 1890-91, p. 62.
5. Ibid., 1891-92, p. 121.
6. Ibid., 1893-94, p. 76.
7. Ibid., 1894-95, p. 36.
8. Ibid., 1898-99, p. 68.
9. Ibid., 1913-14, p. 158.
10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 40th Report, July 14, 1939, p. 362.
Description: Departmental issuances, including a form letter from the American Association of the Teachers of French announcing plans for correspondence exchange between American and French students (n.d.), a notification letter about the establishment of an Educational Trust Fund for the children of Dr. Werner Marx (1965), a WILL release on an "Aspects of French Culture" broadcast series (1955) and a Proust Centennial program and invitation to special musical performance (May 5-7, 1971).